3787 Yeast Temperature Range question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Von Tripel

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been reading this forum for a couple years now, I just never needed to ask a question as most everything has already been asked. Love the search tool!

Anyhow, my question is this.

Concerning Wyeast 3787 (or any yeast for that matter) on the Wyeast website it states that the optimum temperature range is 64-78F, 18-25C. Now, does that mean you should have the fermentation taking place in an environment (the surrounding air) that is in that range or that the actual fermenting wort/liquid should be that temperature? Because right now I have my Tripel fermenting in a basement that is approx. 62º F but the fermenting wort in the carboy is about 70ºF.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=65

I want to keep the actual fermenting liquid around 64 or 65ºF so that would mean setting the vessel out in the garage in a dark place where it is about 57ºF.

Someone please straighten me out if I have totally misunderstood what the temperature ranges actually mean :D

Thanks!

Jimmy Von Tripel said:
Concerning Wyeast 3787 (or any yeast for that matter) on the Wyeast website it states that the optimum temperature range is 64-78F, 18-25C. Now, does that mean you should have the fermentation taking place in an environment (the surrounding air) that is in that range or that the actual fermenting wort/liquid should be that temperature? Because right now I have my Tripel fermenting in a basement that is approx. 62º F but the fermenting wort in the carboy is about 70ºF.

Below 64F the yeast will go dormant, and above 78F it will begin to die off.
That is the temp in the carboy, not the ambient room temperature.

I just fermented an imperial stout with 3787, I started it around 64 (by basement is between 60-65 now) and it warms up during fermentation. Adam Avery (Avery Brewing) uses that strain a lot and starts it cold and lets it warm up well into the 70's during fermentation, he says it avoids fusel alcohols during the replication phase, but allows the strain to produce the fruity esters it is well known for during fermentation.

I find this strain to be a bit slow, I have had blowoff both times I used it, and I leave in the primary for at least 2, if not three weeks....it gets through most of the sugar in a week, but will continue fermenting for a long time. It took a belgian golden strong ale from 1.080 to 1.012 for me.

That 3787 is some wicked stuff. It is also a hot fermenter. I don't think I've had any other yeast that has kicked off as much heat as it does.

But yes the temp range is what the wort should be at.

Also, from my experience with that yeast, if you start low and let it gradually rise over the ferment, you will get some great flavors, mostly peppery and spicy. But you have to watch the temp closely. When it warms up the heat will take off and you'll easily see the wort get up to 80+*F .

rabidgerbil said:
Below 64F the yeast will go dormant, and above 78F it will begin to die off.

I'd use those terms loosely. Yeast will ferment below 64 and above 78, but it just won't produce what you expect. Wyeast has listed it as the "optimum" temperature, not "life and death" temperature.

So would it be a bad idea to bring the fermenting temp down? I'm just afraid it will begin to ferment too hot. I used a huge starter and pitched it last night and right now its extremely active. 3787 is definitely a thermonuclear yeast, if there is such a thing.

The Tripel is 1.086 and its 5.5 gallons in a 6 gal carboy and its NOT foaming out the top. I would have said this to be impossible but I used Fermcap S. That stuff is amazing. I wish I had found out about it years ago. Check it out.

http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/brewing_aids/foam_control.php

I use the 'son of fermentation' chamber and I change the ice daily during peak fermentation activity. Sometimes I'll forget and the temps get too high, then I'll change the ice blocks and forget to adjust the thermostat and the temp will drop up to 10 degrees. I have discovered that dropping the temp during fermentation will stop any and all fermentation activity.

If you drop the temp, do it s-l-o-w-l-y.

PseudoChef said:
I'd use those terms loosely. Yeast will ferment below 64 and above 78, but it just won't produce what you expect. Wyeast has listed it as the "optimum" temperature, not "life and death" temperature.

My mistake, I stand corrected

Back