low fermentation temp... now time to raise??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tava

Reaction score
hello,

so i have been fermenting with S-05 in my chamber at a constant wort temp of 63 degrees for 12 days.. do I raise temp for a D-rest / clean up phase? if so, what temp? I plan to keep on the yeast cake for another 7 days, then transfer to secondary for another 2 weeks.

thanks!!!

I usually let my temps raise slowly to 67ish at the tail end of fermentation to help the little buggers finish their meal. In a lager, that'd definitely be a d-rest, but in an ale, it's usually just to ensure a good finish. Either way, it couldn't hurt. Just go slow. You don't want to stir up the esters your keeping at bay down at 63.

if you detect diacetyl in the beer you need to do a diacetyl rest, otherwise you don't need to do one.

US-05.. one of my favorite yeasts :)

I always ferment this yeast between 58f and 65F depending on the profile the beer is best with, with no warming required to clean up after itself even at 58F.

No need to do a D-rest with ale yeast such as this one, will be all set in that regard.

So like maybe raise it. Degree every 12 hours until i hit 68? Then sit there for a couple couple days?

Diacetyl has a sulfery corny smell and flavor. If that's not there you're fine, otherwise a couple degrees a day works. These guys are right, s-05 is a solid yeast at low temps. You could keep it cool all the way through if it finishes well.

Good stuff! Then i will leave it be. I might bump it to room temp (70) a day before bottling.

Back