Advice about hops / fruit balance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I am going to try a variation on a strawberry wheat for a bunch of non craft drinkers. Its an extract brew, Carapils and Crystal 20 for steeping, 3# wheat LME and 6 lbs pils DME. I am going to rack over strawberries after fermentation. I want to keep the bitters down but the hops smell up.

Here is what Im thinking for hops.
30 minute boil, because I dont need the bitterness of a 60 minute boil
.5 oz Cascade for 30 minutes (6.2aa)
.5 oz Citra at 5 (13.9aa)
.5 oz Citra at flame out

I thought the hit of Citra at the end would be a nice fruity compliment to the strawberry undertones.

So, 2 questions:
Do you think the Citra will overpower the strawberry flavors? I have never used Citra before.
I calculated the IBU at about 13. Does that seem right? Should be palatable for the bmc crew?

I would suggest keeping your boils at 60 mins. Besides alpha-acid isomerization, the boil also drives off sulfur compounds to prevent DMS from forming (cooked corn/cabbage flavor). The extra 30 minutes is good insurance IMHO for a cleaner tasting beer. It will also ensure that the hot break participates fully.

I've not tried racking onto strawberries, but friends have indicated that strawberries are tough to get that 'strawberry flavor' out of. You run the risk of getting the acidity and other compounds, and not so much of the strawberries.

I hear it is easier to use rasberries, blackberries, etc. for berry flavors like that. Hopefully somebody else who has actually gone down either path can chime in here....

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Agreed on the 60m boil. Citra should be a good hop to go with strawberries, but keep a light hand. I wouldn't do any more than what you have there. I haven't used strawberries myself, though I've had a number of beers with them (Brewdog had a barrel IPA with strawberries that was very odd but good). I don't know how many strawberries would be best to use, but make sure whatever you do use is very ripe. That will minimize the acid you get from them and promote the flavor.

Back