Should I bother with Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
I had the intention of making up a batch of Apfelwein, but as I read more and more on the topic, I'm seeing that to get a good batch I need to let it sit for a loonnnggg time. This cider would be my second batch and I'm super-impatient/ don't want to tie up a carboy for such a long time. Is it worth it? Is their a speedier recipe that wouldn't take so long to be drinkable?

It's not just the wait, It's also that it'd be tying up a fermenter. I actually work at a restaurant, I"ll scrounge around for a 5gallon bucket. I'd have to find somewhere to get a lid with a good seal on it though, right?

Do it. In my experience the waiting seems to be on the bottled end. I'm drinking my last sparkling apple cider that seems like a hooch recipe looking back as my first attempt at anything brewing. This bottle is now over 13 months old and was the best tasting of the batch. Its definately a dry cider, with 3 gallons of cider and 2 lbs of plain table sugar for fermentables. It also has some grape tannin powder (3/4 teaspoon) in it for astringency.

Back