Newbe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnybob

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying wine making for the first time. I've been watching some wine making videos and I'm comfortable with the process. Equipment is not a problem, nor is fermentation science. I've been homebrewing beer for 26 years. My question is: I live in Las Vegas, Nv. Ambient temp here is warm/hot. for 7 months out of the year. I don't have a way of storing the packaged wine at the optimum temp (55F). Is it possible to store/age the wine in a refrigerator ( 36 F or so, my only option) and still produce a good quality wine? I'm thinking of making something like a Pinot or a Cab. Is this whishful thinking or is it possible. Or maybe should I try making a a white wine?

I'm thinking of trying wine making for the first time. I've been watching some wine making videos and I'm comfortable with the process. Equipment is not a problem, nor is fermentation science. I've been homebrewing beer for 26 years. My question is: I live in Las Vegas, Nv. Ambient temp here is warm/hot. for 7 months out of the year. I don't have a way of storing the packaged wine at the optimum temp (55F). Is it possible to store/age the wine in a refrigerator ( 36 F or so, my only option) and still produce a good quality wine? I'm thinking of making something like a Pinot or a Cab. Is this whishful thinking or is it possible. Or maybe should I try making a a white wine?

If you're going to store your wine for years and years, you'll want a wine fridge- those Haier wine fridges are pretty good for the price. Fridge temps are just too cold for aging big red wines.

The wine should be in the carboy a year or two, if you're making a cab out of fresh grapes or juice so you definitely have time to think about it. Or you could do a cheaper kit and drink it in a year or two instead of long term aging.

It's not that hard to tweak a fridge thermostat to do what you want. This means dedicating a entire fridge to this project and the electric bill connected to it.
Another approach is to dig a really deep hole in your yard. If you get down far enough you'll have a good stable temp.

Back