First Cheese Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
No real rhyme or reason, just happened that I was first!

Who likes Extra Sharp Cheddar, YO?

I'm Bulgarian, so naturally I like Bulgarian cheeses (especially Bulgarian feta). I really enjoy the stronger flavored cheeses, such as sheep and goat milk cheese. The strangest cheese I've had was camel feta!

OHHHHH CHEEEEEESE my other love.

Give me stilton or give me death - even my 3 yr old is a stilton freak.

I've got a basic cheesemaking kit sitting on my dresser that I am anxious to use, but haven't had the time... fresh milk is also really hard to find.

Cheese makes up four of my seven food groups! I love it all, cept the fake "American" Sh*t! I'm particularly fond of aged xtra sharp cheddar as well.

yes my cheese tastes blossomed along with my beer tastes. microbes are my friends!

by fresh milk i mean raw, unpasteurized/homogenized milk. nobody is willing to sell the real stuff - supposedly cheesemaking is difficult with processed milk. dunno, cause I still haven't tried to make any yet.

I'll try the grocery store stuff and see what happens.

Cheese making is not hard with store bought cheese it just cannot be Ultra pasteurized. Use whole milk when you can. Finding good uses for all that whey thats hard.

I have never made cheese with fresh cheese (keep in mind it illegal to sell fresh un-pasteurized milk if the cheese is younger than 60 days ). I have actually heard of a black market that sells fresh cheese.

I've been wanting to make cheese for awhile, just haven't gotten around to fashioning a press. Plus the wife is preggo and she is my main cheese consumer.

Melana said:
I am all about Cabot Cheddar...

me too. I've got some Vintage in my fridge. Along with Vermont camembert, blue, and Porter soaked cheddar. I could live on beer & cheese, if my body would allow it...

is there an equivalent of BMC in the cheese world? maybe those Kraft American Cheese slices?

i'm loving blue cheeses these days, and good honest cheddar. bit of red leicester would be lovely but even the posh stores don't sell that in the US

orfy said:
At least this is one cheese thread that doesn't need moderating. (I hope)

I LOVE CHEESE.

AND BEER!

I dunno orfy.....I think with the help of Google I could find some naughty cheese!:D

Feta. I think I'd eat a brick if someone put some feta on it.

and I've recently discovered a blue cheese, brand name Roaring Fourties; it's a gloriously stinky blue cheese with a really unique texture and flavor.

I have garden cheese, pepperjack, jarlesberg, blue, and colby in the fridge right now.

I likes cheeses too... especially for breakfast. I keep telling SWMBO that she needs to get into cheesemaking. I tell her we can get a pet goat. She doesn't take me seriously though. :(

But she is making spaghetti from scratch... and beef barley soup from scratch right now. She likes to cook. :rockin: So I can't complain too much.

Nevertheless, I find myself wondering whether a goat would be such a bad pet to have here in the suburbs.... :cross:

Even a single goat can clear an average suburban yard of every single blade of grass in a few short weeks. And of course it'll eat all the grass before eating anything you can buy to feed it. Did I mention how stinky they are yet? no? ok, they're pretty darn stinky ta boot. when I worked landscaping, one of our customers had about 10 goats on a small farm. They're area was about .75 acres and almost completely devoid of grass. The area where the cows were had enough that we mowed it every once in a while.

talleymonster said:
No real rhyme or reason, just happened that I was first!

Who likes Extra Sharp Cheddar, YO?
Extra Extra sharp one of my favorites. A well aged gouda is also hard to beat!

is there an equivalent of BMC in the cheese world? maybe those Kraft American Cheese slices?

i'm loving blue cheeses these days, and good honest cheddar. bit of red leicester would be lovely but even the posh stores don't sell that in the US

I LOVE CHEESE!!!! Not so big on Kraft american cheese slices although they have their place. Can't have an egg McMuffin without them. I eat alot of those in the morning. Cheap, easy to make and sticks to my ribs. No way I'd eat them with a good beer or on crackers/etc... but it has it's place. Another comfort cheese is Velveeta. I know... it's uberprocessed and might be a petrolium product, but I can't have a nice bowl of tomato soup without a Velveeta grilled cheese sandwich! I use any other cheese on any other sanwich I make but I have a special place in my heart for velveeta and it's right next to my Tomato soup(fresh tomatoes and herbs from the garden that day tomato soup or salty, mass produced, not great but it won't kill me campbells...)

by fresh milk i mean raw, unpasteurized/homogenized milk. nobody is willing to sell the real stuff - supposedly cheesemaking is difficult with processed milk. dunno, cause I still haven't tried to make any yet.

I'll try the grocery store stuff and see what happens.

it's not difficult. add CaCl to your ripening milk. I've made lots.

Latest posts

Back