Idea's, terrible Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beani5003

Reaction score
dont know if this is in the right place, but i've had this ideo for and experiment that i would like to talk through.
What i'm thinking of doing is fermenting off 5 gallon of water with, say, 5 or 6kg (13 pound) of sugar. Once the fermentation is done dump in some vanilla extract. then either add priming sugar and bottle or kill off the yeast and then bottle.
Is this worth trying or is it a waste of ingredients as its just something todo between batches :D:D

I can't imagine it'd taste very good. But it is similar to those kits for brewing liquors that they add flavor to. It's not distilled,but I'm not sure it's legal here anyway.

any advice making it taste better? i'm a real vanilla addict, and its first time going away from the 'norm'

I did this in college before I started brewing beer. I made a gallon of sugar hooch with bread yeast and added a half bottle of vanilla extract. It ended up drinkable, kinda champagne-y. Definitely different.

I did this in college before I started brewing beer. I made a gallon of sugar hooch with bread yeast and added a half bottle of vanilla extract. It ended up drinkable, kinda champagne-y. Definitely different.

what size of bottle was the vanilla extract, do you know? i'm not looking for award winning stuff, like txbrewer said, just something different

I can't imagine it'd taste very good. But it is similar to those kits for brewing liquors that they add flavor to. It's not distilled,but I'm not sure it's legal here anyway.

It is legal. Pallateble? I don't know. But it is legal.

Technically it would be a 'sugar wine' that is a wine made exclusivly from sugar fermentables. It would differ from Mead in that it has no honey flavors backing it up.

It is likely to finish with 'hot' flavors and ABV (5 us gallons, and 13lb of sugar) around 12-14% if you use typical yeast - if you use something with low tollerance, it will finish lower.

My experience with vanilla extract is that it has a harsh flavor even when sweetened, and the flavors won't be good. I'd certianly not do 5 gallons on an experiement. I know sugar is cheap - about $.50/lb. Making it much less per pound that DME (and perhaps all but large purchases of grains). But again, I don't think this will ferment out nicely.

good ideas, i was thinking about using a smaller batch size, so i'll deffinately do this as with the turbo yeast, and what kind of hot flavors are we talking about here?

I would use a reputable wine yeast (preferably a cake off a white wine) like lalvin d47 in hopes of imparting some extra "flavor" and mellowing out the alcohol bite from plain sugar.

Some thoughts:

1, sugar washes can get nasty without something to provide some backbone. Hot isn't the right word. Off flavors will SHINE in a sugar only wash

2, sugar washes will need additives since there aren't any nutrients in it.

I suggest trying with either brown sugar or some molasses added. It'll have the nutrients needed to ferment and will jive more with the vanilla. Maybe several vodka soaked beans in the secondary...

I would just make some sort of cider using high quality fruit juice, preferably one that works well with vanilla (cherry?)

I made some persimmon wine this past winter and the recipe called for a ton of plain sugar. The fruit itself doesn't have enough. Let me tell you....sugar, water, some persimmon juice, and yeast doesn't taste very good. Maybe in a year or so but right now.....blech!

Waste of energy. Buy a bottle of cheap vodka to get you by until the next batch of beer. Seriously....

I made a gallon with 2 lbs light brown sugar and champagne yeast. It needed a while to smooth out. It was somewhat harsh and cidery. Not bad for 3 bucks though!

chumpsteak said:
Waste of energy. Buy a bottle of cheap vodka to get you by until the next batch of beer. Seriously....

^^this. My Grandpa used to make a "hooch" that had the same ingredients, and it was the nastiest stuff (think BAD hangovers).

If you wanna do it for the sake of it go for it. But i think it will be terrible.

I made a half gallon of "mead", realized i didn't have enough honey so i used sugar. Terrible. Terrible decision

Latest posts

Back