Looking for a new PS3 Game...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I Beat Resistance, Fall of Man. Tiger Woods 07 is just boring to me these days. And not 2 minutes ago I beat Call Of Duty 3. I'm looking for a First person Shooter game or a driving game that does not require a whole lot of Bells and Whistles as far as controllers go. As you can tell, I am not all that into them as I only get to play my PS3 when the kiddos are in bed and I don't have to work the next day. Hence, I get to play about once every 2 weeks or so. Can anyone here point me in the right direction for a KICK ASS new game? I'm playing on a 50 inch Plasma 1080P TV.

+1 on Call of Duty 4. You'll be blown away. Online is fun as hell....and easy to start and stop if you have obligations.

Condemned is pretty sweet. The demo was terrifying. Download if from the store and try it out for yourself.

I also like Warhawk. It's all online...but zipping around with the planes and strafing people on the ground never gets old.

With your tastes, I would NOT recommend Assassin's Creed. Kind of hard to follow the storyline if you play intermittently. Not a whole lot of shooting either; considering you wield a sword most times.

Ninja Gaiden is pretty frickin' sweet.....but if you've already played it on other systems, it's probably the same game.

DEFINITELY....I swear this game is so realistic...you'll start getting PTSD.....;)

COD4 is a great game if you are into multiplayer FPS. Another good shooter is The Orange Box which has 3 Half Life games and Portal. It also has Team Fortress as the multiplayer component but no one plays that anymore.

Call of Duty 4 is a great one but I'd also recommend you give Devil May Cry 4 a spin. Not much on the shooting (you use a sword), but tons of actions and the story (what little bit there is) is easy to follow.

MULE said:
+1 on Call of Duty 4 ... AC130 Gunship mission will give you a chubby

+1....I was giggling like a little school girl on that one! SWMBO was like "WTF?"

I just picked up GT5....also a chubby game, but I'm a car nut in addition to a beer nut

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is out.
I have to give a shout out to Ratchet and Clank. It's a damn fun game and that's coming from a Grand Theft Auto fan. That is coming soon...
Devil May Cry 4 should be fun. While I haven't played it yet, I own all the others and they're great fast paced high action games.

98EXL said:
+1....I was giggling like a little school girl on that one! SWMBO was like "WTF?"

I just picked up GT5....also a chubby game, but I'm a car nut in addition to a beer nut
Sad to say that I am a 360 owner and cannot play GT5. Forza 2 is my gear head racing title. LOTS of hours spent racing online. Microsoft wireless wheel is a must.

GT5 would be the only reason I would buy a PS3

+1 on the Orange Box if you're not satisfied with anything else here.

I've played Half-life 1 and 2 on PC and its Counterstrike companion is amazing if you're just wanting to play some awesomely fast multiplayer. However, I don't know if it comes with the orange box on consoles.

Yup COD4 is worthwhile. But beware...you may find yourself playing at 2 in the morning in the middle of the week!

You may want to check out this specail edition video on Call of Duty 4
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU[/ame]

I aslo like the Orange Box! Team Fortress 2 is a hoot.

I am obsessed with MLB The Show. Its a very good thing I don't own it. I get to play it at my buddy's house on his hi-def plasma and it is rediculous...

I just got GT5, Rainbow Six:Vegas and going to pick up GTA4 tonight, and probably a PSP as well

98EXL said:
I just got GT5, Rainbow Six:Vegas and going to pick up GTA4 tonight, and probably a PSP as well
GTA 4 is just sick. The MP is a lot of fun if you don't get stuck playing with **** heads.

Just picked up GTA4...I was amazed they had it in stores. After all that hype about how it's sold the most copies of any game ever made, I thought I'd be getting a raincheck. Anyway, it's pretty cool, the storyline is great, and it is an ADULT game....the language etc. sound like when me and my friends hang out :D. Two things though:

1. Don't you guys get tired of driving around everywhere? It's kinda getting boring. I've heard about getting points for stunts, etc....but don't you get penalized for killing people, etc.?

2. The back of the game says it outputs in 1080i. My TV is 1080i capable, but no matter what I do I can't get the game to play in anything higher than 720p. I can get my TV to do 1080i with Blu-Rays, etc. so I know it works...and my PS3 display settings are calibrated properly. Was the box wrong?

2. The back of the game says it outputs in 1080i. My TV is 1080i capable, but no matter what I do I can't get the game to play in anything higher than 720p. I can get my TV to do 1080i with Blu-Rays, etc. so I know it works...and my PS3 display settings are calibrated properly. Was the box wrong?

mine works fine in 1080i mode....that's strange

Just picked up GTA4...I was amazed they had it in stores. After all that hype about how it's sold the most copies of any game ever made, I thought I'd be getting a raincheck. Anyway, it's pretty cool, the storyline is great, and it is an ADULT game....the language etc. sound like when me and my friends hang out :D. Two things though:

1. Don't you guys get tired of driving around everywhere? It's kinda getting boring. I've heard about getting points for stunts, etc....but don't you get penalized for killing people, etc.?

Not sure what you mean by "points"? Are you talking about Social Club status? And this is GTA...why would you be penalized for killing people?

Driving around (like going from Broker to Bohan) can be grueling, I know...which is why I've been using Roman's car service more and more. Or I just flag down a cab and skip the trip. At the most that's $50. No big deal. Sometimes I do feel like driving, but if I don't...cabs (or even Brucie's heli rides) are the way to go.

I haven't done ish in GTA4 yet...just driving around, relaxing, there is a lot of eye candy in this game

I rented it and it locked up on me on the second "mission" so I never re-rented it. I'll have to check it again, because it did look pretty good.

Hmm... never locked up on me once. I swear you gotta give it another go. One of the most engrossing games, with probably one of the better story lines, along with some of the best voiceovers / acting I've ever seen in a game.

If you havent made up your mind about a game yet, take everyones advice about GTA 4, the game is simply a work of art.....

1. I'm new to the GTA series...I rented it before but got totally bored in the first hour because of all the driving. I drive 1:15 everytime I go to work...one way....needless to say, driving isn't exciting to me. So, when I shoot people on the street, etc.... the cops bring out the helicopter/ and or shoot me and usually catch me.

2. OK, I figured it out....I needed to UNcheck the 720P box on the PS3 display setup . That way, when I start the game, the PS3 automaticaly upscales to 1080i. I immediately noticed a difference.

OK, I figured it out....I needed to UNcheck the 720P box on the PS3 display setup . That way, when I start the game, the PS3 automaticaly upscales to 1080i. I immediately noticed a difference.

better isn't it? :D Aren't you now just going, WOW!

2. OK, I figured it out....I needed to UNcheck the 720P box on the PS3 display setup . That way, when I start the game, the PS3 automaticaly upscales to 1080i. I immediately noticed a difference.

If your TV is a Plasma comma DLP comma or an LCD or actually lowering your picture quality. If your TV is a CRT then yes leave the box unchecked. 720p is the native resolution of fixed pixel displays meaning that is the only thing it can show while on CRT TV's the native resolution is 1080i.

What about the 1080p displays?

If you do have a 720 native display, I would force it to send 720. I'd say most people with larger LCD/Plasmas/Front projectors likely do have a 720 native because the 1080's are just now getting reasonable.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is freaking amazing. It's got a really involved plot, but it has probably the best graphics of ANY video game created. They said they maxed out the capacity of the Blu-Ray, and I'd believe it because some of the cinematics are 30+ mins long.

Also, Civilization Revolution comes out in July. It looks like they did a beautiful job. Try downloading the demo for free.

well it's official. I cant stop playing COD4

The past two weeks I tried GT: Prologue, Heavenly Sword, Assassin's Creed, GTA4, and Warhawk. Each one lasted about 10 minutes before they were replaced with COD4

I rented Portal last week. Awesum, but kind of short. Probalby make a good rental until they bring out the next release (hopefully a full game!) It comes in The Orange Box.

well it's official. I cant stop playing COD4

The past two weeks I tried GT: Prologue, Heavenly Sword, Assassin's Creed, GTA4, and Warhawk. Each one lasted about 10 minutes before they were replaced with COD4

so you are playing a lot online huh? You realize all of those games are awesome too!

just cant seem to get into them. COD4 is definitely my style of game. Online so Im playing against real people, fast paced, quick respawn...etc etc

Maybe its my ADD, but those other games get boring fast.

Back