Tiered Yeast? (hopefully)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper31

Reaction score
I just brewed a Belgian Triple. I made the starter on 10/3 and pitched on 10/6 it was a strong fermentation for about 3 days after that the airlock stopped bubbling and the kraeusen cleared except some chunks on top. The FG was 1.071 and now I am at 1.030 (that’s only 57% attenuation). I used the White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale (75-80% attenuation). The only thing that I can think of is that the temp dropped to 65 in my basement? Any ideas on how to get the yeast back and going to finish the job??

Wow, that sounds identical to the Tripple in my fermenter. I still have a krausen and am at 6 days in the primary now. I swirled the fermeter a couple of times and the gravity isn't dropping much either. I did warm the temp up to 75 and got some additional action going, but the gravity hasn't really moved much sense. I'll check mine again in a couple of days. I would suggest warming up the fermenter and giving it a little swirl.

I had an oktoberFAST that stalled out on me, and with the advise of a friend, I went out and got an airator and it kicked back in.

libs said:
I had an oktoberFAST that stalled out on me, and with the advise of a friend, I went out and got an airator and it kicked back in.

Wouldn’t this oxygenate the beer giving it off flavors??

How well did you regulate the temperature of the mash (assuming it's all grain)? I had problems similar to this for about 3 consecutive brews that weren't attenuating properly. I eventually discovered that it was a mis-calibrated thermometer and I was mashing at about 160°F which killed off most of the beta amylase action and prevented the dextrins (unfermentable sugars) being broken down to fermentable maltose.

Although it has never happened to me, I have heard in the past (maybe on this forum?) that Belgian yeasts, especially ones that had vigorous initial fermentations, will stick to the sides of the bucket pretty heavily. You may want to sanitize a stirring spoon of some sort, and scrape down the sides of the walls and give the fermenter a swirl.

However, like I said, I have no personal experience with this, so you may want to take that with a grain of salt.

I have the same problem with WLP500. For 2 beers now, it starts quickly for 3 days then dies after only dropping about 1/3 of my gravity. If I stir the beer every other day it will begin to drop gravity and hit the mark.

Would be nice to make a giant stirplate for my fermenter.
-J

I have the same problem with WLP500. For 2 beers now, it starts quickly for 3 days then dies after only dropping about 1/3 of my gravity. If I stir the beer every other day it will begin to drop gravity and hit the mark.

Would be nice to make a giant stirplate for my fermenter.
-J

There was a picture posted on here several months back of someone doing that, having their carboy on a stirplate.

Chris White of Wyyeast in now suggesting for higher grav beers, that people hit it with another 2 minutes of O2 between 10-12 hours after pitching the yeast.

He talks about it here.

July 3, 2008 - NHC Wrapup Pt. 1
Steve joins James as they begin their collection of interviews gathered from experts at the National Homebrewers Conference in Cincinnati. This week: Dave Wills, Michael Ferguson and Chris White.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr07-03-08nhcwrapup01.mp3

Back