IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staph79

Reaction score
I'm working up a recipe for an IPA I plan to brew tomorrow. I've never added dextrose to a brew before and was wondering if this would be a reasonable amount. I like a dry IPA with the hops as the star. I've never added dextrose before and was wondering if this would be a reasonable amount. IG 1.071, IBUs 71.4.

FERMENTABLES

LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L LATE

39% 3 8 Briess Pilsen Light DME 44 2 ~

39% 3 8 Briess Pilsen Light DME 44 2 Y

11% 1 0 Corn Sugar (Dextrose) 46 0 Y

11% 1 0 American Crystal 40L 0 40 ~

HOPS

boil 60 mins 1.0 Columbus pellet 12.5

boil 20 mins 0.5 Centennial pellet 6.9

boil 15 mins 0.5 Amarillo pellet 8.6

boil 10 mins 0.5 Centennial pellet 6.9

boil 5 mins 0.5 Amarillo pellet 8.6

boil 1 min 0.5 Centennial pellet 6.9

YEAST
Nottingham

Looks good, but %11 crystal is a bit much for an IPA, in my opinion. I would cut that back to %5 and also cut the dextrose back to %5. That's just me though.

Agree with permo, back off the crystal. I just did an IPA with 7 lbs of DME and 1 lbs Dextrose, OG was 1.076 I believe. It had a noticeable malt backbone, which I prefer. So, I would say you might want to back off a bit if you prefer a little less.

Looks good, but %11 crystal is a bit much for an IPA, in my opinion. I would cut that back to %5 and also cut the dextrose back to %5. That's just me though.

Yep, that was my thought. If you want a nice dry IPA, cut the crystal malt in half or leave it out and use a different grain (like victory malt).

10% corn sugar is fine, but you could reduce it for a slightly lower OG.

Thanks for the fast replies. I like the possibility of using some victory in place of the crystal. As far as the Dextrose goes I would like the ABV to be right around 7.0% so I think I will keep the amount around one pound. I just don't want the beer to end up "cidery" from using to much. As I said before I've never used it in any recipe.

I was also planning on continuous hopping with a mixture of the amarillo and the centennial for the last twenty minutes as I've had some good success with this in the past.

Yep, that was my thought. If you want a nice dry IPA, cut the crystal malt in half or leave it out and use a different grain (like victory malt).

Makes sense, my IPA had 8oz Caramel-40 and 8oz Caramunich, but like i said wasn't a dry IPA.

Latest posts

Back