Is this burner adequate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
I am sourcing hardware for a single tier brewstand. I came across some burners VERY similar to the burners in the picture. The price is right... Actual burner diameter is about 6". It said on the box it is a low pressure burner.

Burner.JPG

The store I saw them in had the cone shaped burners as well. I have a few of these cone shaped burners and man... they are LOUD! I may just go ahead with the cone shapes due to the higher BTU's. I also read somewhere that cone burners are fuel HOGS! Any credence to this?

I have one of the high pressure (170K btu) burners & it's not all that loud unless you open the air adjustment wide open. At that setting it's not very efficient. I found that on my burner it works best with the air adjustment set close to it's most closed position. They're all different but the key is to have a blue flame with just a hint of orange on the tip. If it sounds like a jet engine it's probably pulling too much air and not burning efficiently. Sure it's a fuel hog 'cause it's providing 170K btu's, but I found when it's tuned properly I can get about 4 ten gallon batches of beer brewed on one 20lb. tank. That includes heating the mash water from room temp to ~170F. I heat my sparge water on a regular stove. Once I get a rolling boil on the ~13 gallons of wort I can turn the flame way back & just coast through the rest of the boil. Cheers!!!

Back