Black Malt Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaver1992

Reaction score
A buddy of mine went to the LHBS and bought the following:

1# Victory malt
1# Caramel 120
1# Black Patent Malt

Instead of him waiting on me he decided to go ahead and start. :mad: He steeped all of three pounds. How bad/bitter will this be do you think? He used pilsen LME and was going for a black IPA.

Do you think it will wind up kinda in the same flavor characteristics as Black Perle Dark IPA? Anything he can do to improve it when racking. FYI 1oz centennial at 60mins /.5oz at 30 min /.5oz at 5 mins/ and dry hopped 1oz

Not sure never had that IPA personally. Not sure how to diminish that harsh bitterness, I would taste it see what the flavor profile is and possibly try dry hopping or blending with a blander beer.

Some traditional porter recipes use all black malt rather than chocolate, it is a more intense flavor, but not offensive IMO It might be a good beer, don't count it out yet

Some traditional porter recipes use all black malt rather than chocolate, it is a more intense flavor, but not offensive IMO It might be a good beer, don't count it out yet
I plan to go over and get a hydrometer reading tomorrow and taste the sample. I don't mind bitter/boldness in my beer but we will see what he says. If it is too bitter I think these are options.
1. Try adding coconut rum and sorta do a spin off of BigKahuna's Pirate Ale
2. Mixing it with another blander brew like res said.
3. Making it into a highly hopped stout with maybe cocoa powder and Vanilla bean. Maybe oak chips?:confused: or some other stout variant.

With a pound of black patent, that really would be ashy and roasty. I don't even use that much in a robust porter. It will be strongly roasty, with a burnt note.

So I took a reading today (fyi.-1.010) and took a taste test. I was surprised. Had a nice bitter flavor and strong hop flavor. It is like a stout mixed with an IPA. Which luckily is rather tasty. It is still early so we'll see.

So I took a reading today (fyi.-1.010) and took a taste test. I was surprised. Had a nice bitter flavor and strong hop flavor. It is like a stout mixed with an IPA. Which luckily is rather tasty. It is still early so we'll see.

Nice, I had a feeling it would be pretty good :)

Latest posts

Back