Bottling with Wheat Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Earlier this week, one poster mentioned that he bottle conditions with Wheat malt in order to add a bit of head retention. I gave this no thought at the time, but the more I think about it the more it sounds interesting to me.

Will this technique add enough wheat malt to affect head retention? Obviously, the little amount of wheat malt will not affect taste to any degree. But here is my main question:

I am brewing a Belgian Wit tomorrow and I will eventually use dried wheat malt extract at bottling time. Will I use the same technique as regular DME? In other words, 1.25 cups per 5 gallon batch?

better to use calculations based on the characteristics of your DME.
check this:
http://www.indata.com/collectionsoft/mybrewcollection/bp0.html

you'll see that while sucrose/dextrose are prety consistent in terms of fermentability, DME may change from brand to brand.

so if you are primming with sucrose, it is easy to give a recomendation based on weight/volume. but with dme is different thing, specially if you are fine tunning the carbonation level acording to style guidelines.

so try to figure out the fermentability of your extract and use the link (calculator)

good luck!

Back