smoked hot wings problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jppostKW

Reaction score
I smoked some wings today the flavor turned out awesome but the skin was rubbery as all get out I tried crisping them up on a hot grill but it didn't get them nearly crispy enough. I know there has to be a couple smoking gurus on this forum any ideas anyone?

I would do a hybrid of grilling and smoking if I were you. Get some good lump charcoal nice and hot and when you have a good layer of hot coals, throw some dry smoking chips on top. I do that for steaks and it gives a good sear while adding some smoke flavor.

Eric

I too had the same problem. Great tasting wings but rubbery skin. Then I read somewhere where a BBQ guru would put there wings, uncovered in the fridge overnight. I tried it and it works. It requires planning but I unpackage the the wings, lay them out on a cookie tray, and put the tray in the fridge overnight. Take em out the fridge before you fire up the grill to allow them to come to room temp. Season them liberally. Fire up grill, add smoke, cook at 350 to 375 for about 35 mins till skin turns golden brown. Excellent!!

One thing that may work is trying to cook them "bleu." Basically, after smoking them, heat up a cast iron skillet until it is as hot as you can get it, then throw the wings on. It'll give the skin a good char while not cooking the meat any further. I always have at least one person who wants their steak cooked this way when I grill at home.

Here is a Good Eats episode (part 1) where AB goes to great trouble to avoid frying wings. There might be a nugget or two in there for you. He builds a ridiculous contraption and imo the whole thing is LOL but he does try to address the 'crispy skin' aspect. IMO, nothing does it as well as deep frying but I realize lots of folks aren't gonna do that for one reason or another.

Generally speaking, any time you want a good 'crust' on a piece of meat, whether grilling/frying/pan searing; you want the skin/surface to be dry so that method of letting them sit in the fridge makes sense.

Eden's idea is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HX6q61JWR4 Here is a Good Eats episode (part 1) where AB goes to great trouble to avoid frying wings. There might be a nugget or two in there for you. He builds a ridiculous contraption and imo the whole thing is LOL but he does try to address the 'crispy skin' aspect. IMO, nothing does it as well as deep frying but I realize lots of folks aren't gonna do that for one reason or another.

Generally speaking, any time you want a good 'crust' on a piece of meat, whether grilling/frying/pan searing; you want the skin/surface to be dry so that method of letting them sit in the fridge makes sense.

Eden's idea is good.

Hmm I smoked them for 3 hrs at 250 I have grilled them before with smoke but its not what I was looking for the smoky spicyness that comes with low and slow is amazing. I might deep frying them for a couple minutes just to crisp them up.

Back