Trappist Style Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBelanger

Reaction score
Hi,

I just brewed Saq's "New World" Westvleteren 12 cone a 3 days ago.
I didnt account for the boil off rate properly and didnt want to have a half carboy full by the time I was done so I boiled another gallon of water and added it to the boil. My OG ended up being 10 points low so I added 1lb of Amber Belgian Candi Syrup just after fermentation was at its heaviest, hoping to regain at least 6 points and end up with something closer to its style. Its still fermenting well but I was wondering if that pound of syrup is going to add alot of flavour to the finish product? Any thoughts?

Cheers

The reason that sugar is used is that it doesn't have much taste, except for the carmelization that occurs when making it (the higher the °L rating, the more carmelized flavor). Since you used amber, I'd think that it would add a little flavor, but will not significantly alter the beer.

This might dry the beer out a little more. The other thing is that Belgium yeasts produce certain flavors derived from fermenting the simple sugars in your syrup (i.e. flavors different from fermenting malt derived sugars). You'll get more of those flavors as well.

I only had 45L and 90L syrup on hand so I chose the lighter one. It's my first Trappist style beer and I didnt want to end up with an 8.5-9% quad. and I dont mind if the flavour changes a little bit...who knows, I may like it better then Westvleteren 12, lol........probably not! Thanks

Question about aging your tripel.
I made a tripel earlier this year. 6 weeks primary then straight to keg. Then put it on tap at serving temperature for two months. It turned out more than great.
Not trying to change what works, but trying to improve. Should I be aging at fermentation temperature or another temperature. I know that I don't have to worry about carbing the keg since I force carbonate, but I hear of people aging their bottles at room temp for weeks.
Does it really come down to preference and flavor profile each brewer is trying to achieve.

Thank you,

I think it's personal preference and what works best for you. If it turns out amazing then roll with it.
The Trappist monks pitch more healthy yeast before bottling and aging which I would assume adds to the flavour....and Ive heard of some guys aging Chimay Blue for 20+ years in a cold cellar.
Im going to keg and carb my quad the same way you aged your tripel.
Just a question...do you always ferment in the primary for 6 weeks? My quad went from 1.086 to 1.008 in under 4 days! I racked it off to a secondary to age so that it wouldn't go any lower.

Thanks for the reply, no I don't always ferment in the primary for 6 weeks. I just want to let this big beer and yeast do their thing undisturbed. I did not want to tack to secondary, just want to go straight to the keg.
This brings me to my question, at this point do I want to keep it at fermenting temp where the remaining yeast can do their clean up job or does straight to kegging temp work fine. I told you mine last batch turned out more than fine, but like I said, trying to improve my technique here.

Belgian fermentations typically rise through the cycle, starting out in the high 60's and finishing in the low 70's...or even a bit higher. Reactions in beer increase with heat(including bad ones), so I would store your keg at "cellar" temps if you can...low to mid 60's. The aging time is much more about complex flavor development than anything to do with yeast so you don't want this kept in a 90 degree garage for 3 months.

For bottle conditioning you do want higher temps, up into the 80's is not uncommon according to Brew Like a Monk. This gives the yeast the heat they need to do their thing in a very harsh, low nutrient, high alcohol environment.

I live in TX and can have some major fluctuations so I just try and use good refrigeration technique. It is expensive to create cellars or basements due to rock here. I actually have my brew setup in the detached garage.
I have a keezer that holds at about 37 degrees and a refrigerator "fermentation chamber" that holds about 69-70. It can hold two carboys at a time and I like to always have a brew going. I will not age in the fermentation chamber because I can't spare the space and I don't want to change the temp because I will probably be fermenting a batch.
I will keg this beer, put a little pressure in it, and let it age in the keezer for a couple of months at 37.

Thank you for the advice,
Price

This is a good thread, let's keep it going.

When I pitched the yeast into my quad, the temp was 68F and it shot up in temp almost every hour till it was near 85-86F. I didnt make a starter so I pitched 3 packs of wyeast 3787 and the fermentation went crazy...airlock activity after 4 hours and fermented down in 3 1/2 days! I couldnt believe it, lol. So I definitely washed and kept that yeast :)

I was just reading something interesting that I never knew about aging. Basically all it said was that beer that's aged in colder temps (30's) will take longer to age and become more complex compared to aging at warmer temps (50-60's). The flip side is that the beer aged in colder temps until it has matured will have a longer life then the beer aged at a warmer temp. So aging at warmer temps is definitely faster but shortens the "shelf life"...

3787 can be very vigorous, as you have commented. Temps in the mid 80s are a little high, so I'd like to hear how it turns out with a little bit of aging. I've taken that yeast as high as 80 before, but it was when fermentation was nearly complete. As far as reusing that yeast, from my experience it has worked very well. I top cropped it from a pale ale, then a dubbel, then a tripel, and they all came out great and attenuated very well. Looking forward to hearing how yours turns out.

Ya, I didnt know what to think when I read about the fermentation temp on Saq's recipe. He always lets the yeast carry it 82-83F for the esters and has won Westvleteren 12 clone competitions. The samples taste amazing right now...just gotta wait 7 more weeks! ......tick...........tock..............tick..................................tock, lol.

Back