Input on my double IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ortega917

Reaction score
This will be my first double ipa ill be brewing this weekend what do you guys think

Batch vol.5.5 gal
estimated sg. 1092
estimated fg.1022
mash at 150 for 90min
75 min boil
102 IBU's

13 lbs of 2 row
.50 lbs crystal 15L
.50 lbs crystal 60L
.50 lbs crystal 120
2 1/2 lbs sucrose (table sugar)

1.50 oz columbus @60

1 oz cascade @20
1 oz centennial @20

1 oz cascade @10
1 oz columbus @10

1 oz cascade @5
1 oz centennial @5

1 oz cascade @ flame out
1 oz columbus @ flame out

2 oz of summit dry hop

America Ale 1056 starter

What do you guys think ? Will their be enough crystal malt to back up the hops....cheers:mug:

dude, that's way too much crystal malt. I would choose one crystal and use it lightly. You don't want it being too sweet ... which is why you're adding the simple sugar.

dude, that's way too much crystal malt. I would choose one crystal and use it lightly. You don't want it being too sweet ... which is why you're adding the simple sugar.

Agreed, far too much Crystal. Perhaps a small amount of victory or an even smaller amount of Munich for a touch of color and flavor. I would stick with about .5-.75lbs of Crystal 40-60L, go with 40L if you add Munich.

i would remove 0.5-1lb of crystal and add some vienna or munich, for hops instead of 20 do 15 min

Nix the crystal 60 and 120. Use 1/2 to 3/4 lb. crystal tops. Cut the corn sugar down to 5-6% of the recipe. Mash at 153. Cut the bittering Columbus to 1 oz, boost the late additions by 1/2 oz. each, and finally double the dryhop.

Thanks for the replys just wish they were a little sooner :( I went ahead and brewd this beer already .I guess ill have to ride it out and see how it comes out and learn from my mistake hopfully it still drinkable.

Latest posts

Back