Brown Rice Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I'm a VERY new brewer who wants to make a batch of GF beer for my wife. I could try my hand at malting and roasting, or I could order a GF kit, but I'd like to keep this as simple as possible.

So I'm curious...what do you knowledgeable folks think would result if I substituted brown rice syrup 1:1 for the malt extract syrup in the kits assembled at my local home brew supply store? Would the resulting beer be drinkable? Might it even be tasty?

It'd be a little thin, but it would be drinkable and tasty.

I did this with a blonde that I thought turned out well. Experiment with it. I think there are a few threads around here about BRS and using it 100%.

a 100% BRS will be a little fruity. 100% sorghum will be a little sour or bitter... maybe try half BRS and half sorghum. BRS is a little thin so if you go 100% add maltodextrin. Easiest would be to use a kit. Roasting your own grains and steeping them in warm water before the boil will make it taste better and provide more protein for head retention. Malting your own grains (millet, buckwheat and quinoa) will probably give the best results overall but is the hardest.

Back