Sorghum Cider experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is something I've been meaning to try for a while now, and tonight I finally got it going...hopefully the Tigers get it going too...

Here's my recipe:

1 gallon Target brand apple juice.
1 cup sorghum syrup (it tastes very similar to molasses) dissolved in 1 cup of the same juice.
1/2 tsp malic acid
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
A part of a packet of Nottingham yeast

the juice's gravity by itself was 1.042
Gravity with all ingredients but yeast is 1.064

ForumRunner_20121025_211525.jpg

It is a nice dark amber color. It tastes damn good as-is. Here's hoping for a good hard cider!

Update: I've been pretty busy lately with work, and my brand new Wii U :) but I found some time tonight to stop gathering Christmas gifts and playing videogames to check on some of what I've been letting sit idle for the last 2 months as I am almost out of homebrew. This sorghum cider experiment (sorgher, if you will) seems to be a success so far. The gravity is at 1.004 and it tastes a little tart but delicious. It still has a deep, but now translucent, amber color and I am looking forward to letting this finish cold crashing so I can drink it cold. I'll probably leave this one still.

Nice! I'll trade you a bottle of your Sorghur for a bottle of my Robust Porter that is also brewed with sorghum.

Is the sorghum flavor pronounced very much? I like the idea of upping the ABV a bit but was thinking of experimenting with different sugars instead. I'll have some extra after I brew a gluten-free beer for a buddy and was planning on making a cider anyway.

mr_samsonite said:
Is the sorghum flavor pronounced very much? I like the idea of upping the ABV a bit but was thinking of experimenting with different sugars instead. I'll have some extra after I brew a gluten-free beer for a buddy and was planning on making a cider anyway.

Yeah, there is definitely a pronounced flavor that isn't there when I've used white sugar or brown sugar. It is pretty tart for some reason though; I wasn't expecting that. I might have to sweeten it a little bit.

Robust porter eh? How did it turn out?

It's not fully carbed yet, but I think it's going to be nice. It only has 8 oz. of sorghum in a 10 gallon batch.

Back