Candy beers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_Savage

Reaction score
I have an unusual question. If I were to brew a beer with candy in it. What candy would you reccomend I use. I only do Ales. I don't have cold space for lagers yet.

My beer club has monthly competitions. October '06 Is brew with a candy month. I guess its in honor of Halloween. I know it sounds totally gross, but it might be fun.

So what kinds of candys have you used. The only successful ones I've heared of being used were Apple Jolly Ranchers (in a Lambic), Red Hots, and Atomic Fire Balls(in a mead). Im leaning towards a hard candy. But who the heck knows if a candy bar works, then why not?

Some of those Werther's Originals (hard caramel) would go good in a stout...looks for Sam75 or Orrelse's recipe for coffee-toffee milk stout.

I dont know if art. apple flavor would go well in beer. Has any one ever tasted it? Sounds really nasty.

I think any hard candy would work well. The poss. are endless. butterscotch?

Dont these beers have a high alch. content? That seems like alot of sugar!

The quebecois at Unibrew make apple beer and it's really good. They make all sorts of crazy flavours and types. Wyeast 3864 is modeled after them, or made for them not sure which. Anyhoo, apple beer is really good. Especially the nose.

How about Horehound Porter? That sounds pretty good . . . wouldn't know how much to use though.

AHU

AllHoppedUp said:
How about Horehound Porter? That sounds pretty good . . . wouldn't know how much to use though.

AHU

Experiment time. Do you bottle or keg? if you bottle try putting 1 drop in to a 12oz or 2 in a 22 and see what the flavor is like. I think the ratio of sugar to flavoring is so high that you would get a cidery tasting brew if you were to put a large amount in the boil. But what the hell do I know?

Well, it is a candy beer competition. Aren't most of the hard candies previously mentioned (red hots, jolly ranchers, etc.) pretty much 99% sugar? I think you can get horehound extract so maybe you could "fortify" the candy with some extract.

AHU

Back