First mash horror story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisBates

Reaction score
So I decide to make my first mash a stout, and I go in with confidence high. I needed 4.75 lbs. of DME so I bought two three-pound bags. I get 1.75 lbs. out of one bag and put it in a bowl on the counter.
The mash goes very well but after recirculating and spraying I have way too much wort. So I fill up my 5 gallon brew kettle to almost the top and start my boil. I take the DME BOWL FROM THE COUNTER and add half of of it

To the wort just before the boil starts which makes it overflow all over the stove. Boil goes fine and I add the OTHER HALF OF THE DME BOWL at the end of the boil. The wort is almost coed and I look over at the sink and there is a three pound bag of DME staring at me.......I ended up heating some water and dissolving the three pounds of DME, add it to the nearly cool l wort and let it cool down again. Aerated wort into the fermenter and pitched yeast. What a nightmare. Anybody with thoughts on what I will end up getting with this if anything at all?

Then my plan worked perfectly. I almost dumped the whole batch when I saw that bad on the counter. Stupid small kitchen, or apparently not small enough that I missed a large bag of powder.

Latest posts

Back