complete newbie looking to make me some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck76

Reaction score
Hello,

Really glad to have found this community. :mug:
I was in Boston recently, had the pleasure of being introduced to sierra nevada pale ale. Of course, I was heart broken to come home and find you can't get it where I'm from.

I love it so much, I decided to look into whether or not I could make it myself.
Does anyone have a success story w/ a specific SNPA clone kit? Also, where do I start in terms of knowing what equipment I need. I found a kit online, but would prefer to order one that someone has some first hand experience with.

http://www.ontariobrewsupply.com/index.php/beerrecipes/light-ales/26-sierra-nevada-pale-ale

Cheers and thanks.

I have the midwestsupplies.com's partial mash cascade pale ale kit I'm gunna brew up soon. The reviews say it's as good or better than SNPA. We'll see. Midwest does have some good,fresh kit ingredients.

I cant believe yall cant get it there. Its everywhere here! I bet you guys have troegs though right? I cant find that anywhere! Flying dog disapearing too....all they wanna do is stock shocktop and i think that sucks! Wheres the real beer damnit!??!?!??!?! The micro taste like water i tried everything on shelf build own 6 pack thing. Supposed to all be microbrews well they suck!!!!!!! They taste like water...... once you go hb you cant go back i guess.....i think they fill half the bottle with water just to make ya think ya got something.

@ union: please keep me updated!

@ mtk6006: Like I said, I was crushed to find I couldn't get it here. Haven't heard of troegs. A search for "troegs" on our ontario liquor board site and beer store returns zero results.

I'm a 2 hour drive from Buffalo, hoping to start a shopping trip with friends once every other month or so to take advantage of the exchange rates, and to stock up on SNPA, but also need to stay 48 hours to bring some home with me.

Midwestsupplies is in Minnesota,so that's close I guess boarder-wise. I'm going to get a corona milll if bed,bath,& way beyond has one after eye dr. Need to crush my grains & get 6 gallons of distilled water. I'll make a thread about it when I get it fermenting.
SNPA is very common around here,as is there other beers,including the barleywine.

Before you buy anything, you should spend some time researching and reading about brewing. The recipe you posted is a partial mash. That is generally considered "intermediate" on a brewing difficulty scale. Most people start out with an extract kit - beginner level. Of course, some people just jump into the deep end, but there is something to be said for starting easy and working your way up.

Back