Chocolate beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
So I have a friend I was talking to about my new homebrewing hobby and she mentioned that she had once had a chocolate beer that she really liked. She couldn't remember what it was called but she said she's tried to find it again and couldn't. She said it's not a chocolate stout because she's tried that and it's not the same. I'm guessing whatever she had was a less bitter beer.

Any ideas what it might have been and where I might find a good recipe for it?

Thanks in advance! :mug:

I work in craft-beer retail, and I haven't seen too many beers that were flavored with chocolate that weren't stouts. Fantome makes a beer that isn't quite a stout, and it has chocolate and chili peppers in it...but I don't even think that it's legal to sell in the states, and your friend probably wasn't talking about Fantome anyway, given how rare it is (especially this one).

It might have been a brown ale of some sort. I can't think of too many other styles, save for stout/porter, that would accept chocolate too well.

You could find a good brown ale recipe and add bakers chocolate and/or cocoa powder to the boil, and see what happens. You may not make the exact brew your friend was talking about, but it'll probably be pretty good nonetheless. Apologies that I can't be of more help.

Lots of posts and recipes via search. Not so many commercial versions out there. Most chocolate or mocha ales use chocolate malt, but no chocolate or cocoa.

Miller makes a great chocolate beer that's not a stout. It's sold under the Frederick Miller label. Not a session beer, but good for one or two.

I do not reccommend using bakers chocolate, I tried this with a stout kit when I was a little less experienced and it didn't come out very well. I can honestly say that is the only beer I have made that I would call bad. I never tried the same kit and same procedure minus the chocolate, but I still believe it was the chocolate that made it bad. It had an extremely bitter taste, but not the taste you get from hops, it almost tasted like you were eating plain unsweetened bakers chocolate. It did mellow out with age and taste ok, but it simply tasted like a regular stout. The chocolate didn't seem to add much to it after it aged. I would reccommend using a chocolate malt and doing a mini mash, or maybe even just steeping. A little will go a long way though, I wouldn't use more than 1 pound per a 5 gallon batch.

joshpooh said:
I do not reccommend using bakers chocolate, I tried this with a stout kit when I was a little less experienced and it didn't come out very well. I can honestly say that is the only beer I have made that I would call bad. I never tried the same kit and same procedure minus the chocolate, but I still believe it was the chocolate that made it bad. It had an extremely bitter taste, but not the taste you get from hops, it almost tasted like you were eating plain unsweetened bakers chocolate. It did mellow out with age and taste ok, but it simply tasted like a regular stout. The chocolate didn't seem to add much to it after it aged. I would reccommend using a chocolate malt and doing a mini mash, or maybe even just steeping. A little will go a long way though, I wouldn't use more than 1 pound per a 5 gallon batch.

Dif'rent strokes, I guess. Both of my chocolate stouts (which used baker's choc) turned out great.

I've made a chocolate porter twice using cocoa and it's come out great. The cocoa does provide significant bitterness, so I go light on the hops to keep it balanced.

What about Fuller's London Porter? That's pretty chocolately. It's no longer available where I live, but fully worth it if you can find a place to special order. And there's a clone recipe in the latest BYO 150.

Rouge has a "Chocolate Stout" in 22oz bottles... IT ROCKS!!! :ban: :rockin: :ban:

It doesn't seem to suffer from the "bitterness" others are mentioning. You get a good malty start and a coffee finish with a nice mild chocolate finish/aftertaste. Nice body too!

PM

I just had a DFH Chicory Stout that was aged on regular dark chocolate and it was awesome. A slight amount of bitterness, but no more than you would expect from a high quality chocolate. So if you make something, just throw some shaved chocolate in the secondary or in the keg.

It's a stout, but Young's Double Chocolate Stout is absolutely delicious. :rockin:

Hinez57SouthernScotsman said:
Rouge has a "Chocolate Stout" in 22oz bottles... IT ROCKS!!! :ban: :rockin: :ban:

PM

I gotta agree 100% here. I LOVE the Rogue Chocolate Stout. Haven't found one like it yet.

5gB

turbo dog, is a chocolate beer by abita, its pretty good.

TURBODOG

Abita Turbodog is a dark brown ale brewed with Willamette hops and a combination of British pale, crystal and chocolate malts.

This combination gives Turbodog its rich body and color and a sweet chocolate-toffee like flavor. Turbodog began as a specialty ale but has gained a huge loyal following and has become one of our three flagship brews.

Just a bit stronger than our other brews, so . . .beware of the dog

American Brewing Compant (Walter Payton's Roundhouse in Aurora, IL) has a Chocolate Ale on tap. It looks like a BMC- very light and yellow. It smells and tastes like dark chocolate. It's pretty freakin amazing...

I don't care for the flavor too much, but it's a great novelty. I like having one sometimes, but it's a bit of a split personality beer. It's far too light to be an after dinner beer, and the taste is too chocolatey for a dinner beer. It's the kind of beer you might drink if you're not a beer drinker and you're just having one with your friends at the bar. But it's pretty tasty.

Sam Adams brews a chocolate Bach. It's availability is very seasonal. Last year I bought two bottles sometime around March or April. Look in a well stocked store right now. It is expensive. $15/ 750ml bottle. But that's a lot of beer.
I liked it, but not nearly as well as I enjoy some of the micro-brews.

FW

fw2007 said:
Sam Adams brews a chocolate Bach

I liked it, but not nearly as well as I enjoy some of the micro-brews.

FW

I agree 100%. I was going to make a post about my dissatisfaction with Sam Adams. THey make so many interesting beers, but you can tell they are all a bit watered down or something. They don't have the body of a micro-brew IMHO.

Latest posts

Back