Seasoning my aluminium pot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
I picked up a bayou classic 30 quart al pot and burner today for $40 on closeout and have a question or three.
I plan on seasoning it like I have read about on here by boiling water in it for an hour or so.
My question is why do we season it? If aluminum is not harmful to us then what is the use of sesoning the pot? I assume there is another reason to season it? If it can be harmful to us then wouldn't the layer of al oxide be just as harmful? Not trying to beat on this horse any more than needed, but I am still confused about why we do it. :mug:

I asked a similar question not long ago. I'll save you the trouble of reading...when you season the pot, you'll know why you don't want to use the water.

EDIT: that didn't really answer your question...so I'll try again: it'll taste like a can if you don't (and you're right...it won't hurt you :))

Ahhh, I see. Any reason to season the lid too? I don't plan on using it for the brew, or even know if it is possible to do so.

If you can figure out a way to boil the lid in your brewpot, then by all means, please take pictures and report back :fro:

Seriously though, don't sweat it. That lid won't be on during your boil anyway, right?

Back