First all grain - non boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbr2547

Reaction score
Just cracked my first all grain. A bit early, just wanted to taste as I'm anxious. Tastes good but extra cloudy - the wort got up to 205 or so but no boil. How does that impact the beer - taste, look, etc

Thx

Did it not boil at all? Or does water boil at 205F at your elevation like it does at mine?

well, lets see... he said it didn't boil, not that it didn't reach 212 degrees, so i wonder if he means it didn't boil or whatever...that means there will be no protein break. it needs to boil to separate the protein from the wort

Mine doesn't reach 212°F either, but then again I'm not at sea level. Remember, the boiling point of water is 212°F at sea level. The best I've ever done is 209°F. I think I'm about 500ft above sea level.

When you "boiled" yours did it foam up at all? If it did then you got a hot break and the haze you're seeing could be chill haze from not chilling it fast enough. I can't recall if a weak hot break impacts clarity or not.

hbr2547 said:
No boil at all - 212 or higher I think

Sorry - to clarify definitely no boil and the 212 was referencing boiling point. My temp was maybe high 200 or 205. Not much in way of hot break if I remember correctly.

TyTanium said:
So, why didn't you boil it?

I'd expect some DMS.

I tried but the gas burner didn't heat it up enough and I have an electric stove. Bad prep work for first all grain. Recently completed my second which had much better results.

Consider making smaller batches that you can bring to a boil with your equipment. I do my batches on the stovetop and do 2.5-gallon batches instead of the standard 5 gallon batches because I can bring 4-5 gallons to a boil.

You might be left with a beer with some haze and not as bitter as you hoped. That temp should kill any baddies though. Maybe you're onto something, like the no chill. No boil brewing....

If you can't get it to boil, drape a hand towel over the sides. It allows the DMS to get out and/or condensate on/in the towel while still keeping enough heat in to get it to a boil. I easily get 6-7 gallons boiling on my electric range using this method. :fro:

TzeentchPlayer said:
If you can't get it to boil, drape a hand towel over the sides. It allows the DMS to get out and/or condensate on/in the towel while still keeping enough heat in to get it to a boil. I easily get 6-7 gallons boiling on my electric range using this method. :fro:

Nice tip!

Back