Ever Seen This Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutra2418

Reaction score
I know it's nothing amazing. I just cant find much info about it online, even at the muntons site (which sucks for info in general). I am making an Amber ale. Was going to use just plane ol' two row as my base malt and then saw this at the LHBS. Can it be used as my base malt? I would assume so, the lovibond is low but I have no clue if it can self convert.

The only thing I could find was from the LD Carlson site and it said: " AMBER MALT

Has a light, biscuity dry flavor and can be used to product [sic] Bitter and Mild Ales and sweet Stouts as well as the traditional London Porters that have come back into favor recently."

Sooo? I know mild ales are similar to ambers..thoughts? Has anyone used it before? I've searched the forum and I see lots of people who have used the DME version but not as a base. I don't know if there is a difference or not.

photo(1).jpg

Amber malt is a great malt! It's NOT like amber extract, and is instead midway between "pale malt" and "brown malt".

I didn't know Munton's made it, but Thomas Fawcett makes it and it's a great malt. I use 6 ounces in my favorite IPA recipe, but I would use more in a porter or brown ale.

Thanks for the re! What are your thoughts on using it for a base malt?

Definitely not 100% of the base malt. I'd use maybe a pound or so in a beer that I wanted a dry biscuit flavor in, but I've never even used that much so that's just my theory. Maybe a pound in a mild, or in a brown. In an amber ale, I'd go with no more than .5 pound and that's only if you don't want the typical sweet caramel flavor in an amber.

My DFH clone recipe uses 13 pounds of two-row and 6 ounces of amber malt- and I can taste it!

I once used a pound and it was overwhelmingly strong like bread crust toast flavor. I can't even use .25# in my ESB anymore or its all that I can pick out unless it ages and mellows for a month in the bottle.

Back