San Diego, CA Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonlor20

Reaction score
Hello,

I have noticed quite a few brewers in the San Diego area. Does anyone have a water profile handy for San Diego? The last one available online seems to be from 2008 and does not give Calcium or Magnesium or Bicarbonate...

Thanks!
Scott

I don't know about our specific profile. It depends on what part of SD you are in since we get our water from 3 or 4 different sources. But I know Ballast Point uses tap water through a charcoal house filter, which is what I do for most of my beers (all my american styles). I remember reading somewhere that Stone uses a London based water profile. But regardless, our water is good for brewing american style ales, just filter it.

I don't know about our specific profile. It depends on what part of SD you are in since we get our water from 3 or 4 different sources. But I know Ballast Point uses tap water through a charcoal house filter, which is what I do for most of my beers (all my american styles). I remember reading somewhere that Stone uses a London based water profile. But regardless, our water is good for brewing american style ales, just filter it.

I'm in Mission Valley, do you know how they break down the water distribution? Apparently there are three locations Alvarado, Miramar, and Otay. But they don't break it down as much as I need. You can read the 2008 Annual Drinking Water Report here: http://www.sandiego.gov/water/quality/pdf/waterqual08.pdf

Well, according to that file, it looks like mission valley is covered by the Alvarado facility. I remember looking at that a while ago and discovered the same thing. I know there are places that you can send in a sample and they will break it down for you, but I forget the names of the companies. If you do a search on here, you should be able to find it.

Ca++: 37
CO3--: 0 ?
Cl-: 95
Mg++: 18
Na+: 83
SO4--: 160

It's pretty close to the same from most of the treatment plants. just remember to remove chloromine, that stuff's evil.

Just moved here and looking to start brewing again. Is the easiest/cheapest way just to use a Brita water filter to remove this stuff?

I have Palomar Spring Water deliver to my house. I already use it for my water so a couple extra 5 gal jugs a month for brewing/soda is no biggie and it tastes pretty good. Not sure the profile on it though.

I use a house/RV filter system. You can get a put-together version at Home Brew Mart, or piece it together yourself (when I was looking it came out to about the same price). It would take forever to filter through a Brita.

Theres a place called the water store in La Mesa, I'm sure there are more around the city, but it only cost me .25 a gallon and its RO. I been using it since I started brewing and it makes god beer. I dont think I can filter my own water cheaper than what they do so... I'll stick with them.

The water here is actually not bad for brewing. I brew all grain and have made a couple of really great beers. The only one that hasn't been so great was a darker beer, but I am pretty sure that had to do with overdoing the roast barley. I am definitely not getting the astringent flavor I was getting in Merced, CA in my earlier posts. There is a higher level of chlorine in the water here, but I don't find the need to filter that as the water seems to be pretty good post-boil.

I actually brewed the last beer straight from the water hose (one of those new non-rubber ones). I tried a glass of the water first (was in PB) and decided I could drink it over ice so we were good to go! You may consider avoiding the RO route due to HOW MUCH is taken from the water. A spring water or a brewable city water may give you better results, but to each his own. The good thing about RO is that its a blank slate if you want to modify your water.

I live in Chula Vista, Otay water district. I take my brew water straight from the tap. So far every batch has tasted just fine!
Stay Thirsty

The water here is actually not bad for brewing. I brew all grain and have made a couple of really great beers. The only one that hasn't been so great was a darker beer, but I am pretty sure that had to do with overdoing the roast barley. I am definitely not getting the astringent flavor I was getting in Merced, CA in my earlier posts. There is a higher level of chlorine in the water here, but I don't find the need to filter that as the water seems to be pretty good post-boil.

I actually brewed the last beer straight from the water hose (one of those new non-rubber ones). I tried a glass of the water first (was in PB) and decided I could drink it over ice so we were good to go! You may consider avoiding the RO route due to HOW MUCH is taken from the water. A spring water or a brewable city water may give you better results, but to each his own. The good thing about RO is that its a blank slate if you want to modify your water.

You must not have any taste buds because I live in PB and I can' stand the tap water here. Very heavy chlorine flavor with a dirt aftertaste. I would never brew without running the tap water through a charcoal filter first.

I have since stopped using RO water for my beer and now filter my tap water through a charcoal filter. My beer is a lot fuller now. If I make something like a Pilsner I will probably mix it with RO.

Has the flavor been ok in your beer using filtered tap? I've been using spring water but want to brew my next batch with filtered tap.

The flavor and Body have both improved since using Filtered Tap water. Just be sure to use a good charcoal filter, not one of the paper filters.

I can tell you that San Diego just changed the source of our water supply fairly recently. the new source is high in calcium (read hard). they did not notify the public of the change because calcium is "good for you". I have yet to get a new analysis of the new water source however

Edit: on that note I brew all grain. didnt filter for a long time and never had any noticeable flavor issues. I live in Ocean Beach. I have started using a charcoal filter recently though just because I can.

Not sure where everyone in San Diego gets their water from but mine is from Helix which gets their water from the Colorado river, "various other rivers" and 18% form Lake Jennings, Lake cuyamaca and El Capitan. Our PH is about 7.8 so probably a little high, not sure if a charcoal filter does anythiing with PH but, the beer turns out pretty good regardless.

We're served by the Helix water district and it has been floridated (sp?) for years. I don't think it effects taste but I use my under sink filtered water for brewing and toss in a Campden tablet for good measure.

The information we're looking for comes right from the water department at http://www.sandiego.gov/water/quality/

Between the anual report, and the Table 6 document further down the page, I was able to piece together the information I needed.

These are the averages at the Alvarado plant. YMMV if your source is another treatment facility or another water department (ie, not San Diego)
Calcium: 57.8 ppm
Bicarbonate 139.0 ppm
Magnesium 23.0 ppm
Sodium 88.8ppm
Chloride 100.0 ppm
Sulfate 176.0 ppm
Alkalinity 114.0 ppm

Is it true that San Diego's water ph is about 8.15? That seems really steep. I'll have to snag some pH paper before I leave work and check when I get home.

Here is a link to the 2011 Water Qulaity report in San Diego, which they posted this year:

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/quality/pdf/waterqual11.pdf

My company, San Diego Pure Water, also does Free Water Quality Analysis

There's no obligation, we just want people to know what's in their water

www.SanDiegoPureWater.com - there is a form on the home page that if you fill out we will come get a water sample and e-mail you the results!

Sorry for the thread res, but here are all reports for SD:
http://www.sandiego.gov/water/quality/reports.shtml

Unfortunately some of the data is grouped together, or downright missing. So I went ahead and called them up for some hard numbers... attached is the monthly report of all 3 facilities in SD.

Mira Mar is mine, here is the relevant information (in ppm):
Ca^+2 = Calcium = 68
Mg^+2 = Magnesium = 26.8
Na^+ = Sodium = 92.4
Cl^- = Chloride = 98.8
SO4^-2 = Sulfate = 215
HCO3^- = Bicarbonate = 147

View attachment December 2014 Monthly Complete.pdf

Last edited:
This is gold, thanks.

I'm in the Miramar supply area as well, and haven't had too much trouble with the filtered tap water.
The beer seems to be pretty good!
As another poster mentioned, I took the advanced brewing class at Ballast Point some time ago and they said they just use the house water through a carbon filter.

Sorry for the thread res, but here are all reports for SD:
http://www.sandiego.gov/water/quality/reports.shtml

Unfortunately some of the data is grouped together, or downright missing. So I went ahead and called them up for some hard numbers... attached is the monthly report of all 3 facilities in SD.

Mira Mar is mine, here is the relevant information (in ppm):
Ca^+2 = Calcium = 68
Mg^+2 = Magnesium = 26.8
Na^+ = Sodium = 92.4
Cl^- = Chloride = 98.8
SO4^-2 = Sulfate = 215
HCO3^- = Bicarbonate = 147

Sorry for resurecting an old thread, but the 2015 Report is now out.

It displays the Sodium, Chloride, Sulfate and Alkalinity - Total as CaCO3. But I only see Total Hardness (ppm) instead of Calcium and Magnesium.

Any idea how I can get that info?

Thanks,
Tim

Sorry for resurecting an old thread, but the 2015 Report is now out.

It displays the Sodium, Chloride, Sulfate and Alkalinity - Total as CaCO3. But I only see Total Hardness (ppm) instead of Calcium and Magnesium.

Any idea how I can get that info?

Thanks,
Tim

See here:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/water-profiles/

It includes recent water - as recent as April 2016, for example for me its Alvarado water plant:

San Diego - Alvarado - April 2016
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 Alkalinity pH
54 26 81 101 173 154 (HCO3) 7.96
City of San Diego, Environmental Monitoring and Technical Services, Water Quality Chemistry Services (Nita Torres)

See here:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/water-profiles/

It includes recent water - as recent as April 2016, for example for me its Alvarado water plant:

San Diego - Alvarado - April 2016
Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 Alkalinity pH
54 26 81 101 173 154 (HCO3) 7.96
City of San Diego, Environmental Monitoring and Technical Services, Water Quality Chemistry Services (Nita Torres)

That's fantastic!!! Thank you.

Does anybody have a recent profile for the Miramar plant? I am having the hardest time to get pH under control. I was using this profile based on the '19 water report:

Calcium: 60.5
Magnesium: 22.9
Sodium: 76.5
Sulfate: 143
Chloride: 86.1
Bicarbonate: 130

The beer turns out ok but the pH is always too high and I can't get mash efficiency above 65%. I tried mash pH stabilizer and lactic acid. Did not really help.

I brewed again with this profile yesterday and the mash pH was 6.2 - after lactic acid addition according to Beersmith. Something is obviously wrong with this profile.

Rise dead post, rise.

After taking a 6year hiatus, I'm planning to brew again. Moved from NYC to San Diego and looking for info in what you gals/guys are adding to your water here. I live in RB/Poway area.
Thanks for the help

LOL, this thread gave me a laugh. i wonder what the water profile on reclaimed sewage in santee, from the santee lakes would be? :mug:

the ducks liked swiming in it!

Ive found that using the San Diego water quality drinking report and supplementary mineral report in Bru'N water doesn't give me my desired results (but I've never gotten an analysis of what's coming out of my specific tap). Gonna spend that money towards an RO membrane instead.

For now I carbon filter and blend with a few gallons of RO from the stand down the street.
I do 2/3 RO for light beers (and should cut the acid recommended by Bru'N water by 60%...so it recommends like 1.6mL per mash and sparge and I put like 0.75mL in each).
I do 1/2 RO for amber beers (same acid mod)
I do 1/3 RO for brown beers (may not need acid)
I do full carbon filtered water for black beers (if it doesn't overshoot Mg, Na or sulfate too bad), may add Pickling lime maybe...gonna brew stout this week since installing the new carbon filter.

Back