Odd occurance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

514613brewer

Reaction score
So I got a beer bottled since early October in a 1.9L bottle called a growler and about two weeks ago I noticed it was spitting out the cap and leaking even tho it was very tightly screwed shut with one of those big plastic caps,( I was expecting it to be flat but is nicely carbonated) there was a sticky ring around the bottom and the cap, but I decided to refrigerate it and drink it tonight and before opening it I could see bubbles rising to the top , it was so tight from being sticky took me 5 minutes to open it....... I was expecting to toss out 2L of flat coopers Canadian blond.... But it's perfectly carbonated (also made no pfftst noise when I finaly got it open)

So I'm baffled why it seems and tastes fine after leaking out and bubbling while sealed in the bottle .......iv never seen bubbles rising inside a capped beer

It's a coopers Canadian blonde I added only dextrose to instead of the recommended brew enhancer and about 1-1/3 cup of cane sugar to prime bottled since early October
Inside a 1.9L growler bottle I'm re using from beaus brewery vankleek hill Ontario or le castor brewery rigaud Quebec

What do u think?

But I used brand new caps for the bottle , same caps beaus brewery relies on for their delicious beer

OP, bottling in growlers is a terrible idea. They aren't made for the pressure that bottle carbing causes, and very frequently end up failing - oftentimes, explosively (i.e. glass shards and beer everywhere).

Back