Munich Rye Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPal75

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a mini mash on my next Barleywine to simplify the amount of grain I need to work with. My question is whether you all think 4 lbs of Munich would be able to convert itself as well as 2.5 lbs of flaked rye. If it I need to I can add some 2 row but was hoping light DME could replace 2 row in the recipe I'm using. (Brewpastor's Water Into Barleywine)

Thanks.

Munich is right on the threshhold of being able to convert itself, so you REALLY have to hit temps and PH to get it to convert the same way something like two row would. The manufacturer's numbers state that you'll get 79% conversion in 20 minutes of mash at proper temp and PH.

Some peeps will do like a 75-90 minute mash if they are using high % of lower diastatic malt.

Add just 1lb of two-row and you won't have a problem at all with the Munich. Otherwise, it doesn't hurt to add about 10% extra Munich to hit your #s, and watch the mash temp like a hawk to keep it constant, or just let it mash a bit longer.

Lots of options, but you get the idea - you are likely to come in a little low, so pump up one of the variables that contributes to efficiency.

I've always heard munich doesn't have the diastatic power to handle adjuncts, I know it has no problem converting itself.

Thats sort of what I was thinking. I guess I'll just throw in a few pounds of 2 row to be safe.

Thanks

Back