Feedback Questionnaire/Review of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Dude

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been brewing for a couple years now and have given out a bunch of beers. I usually get some type of verbal feedback which usually consists of "I really liked it" or, "it's not really my type of beer". I would like to get back some more constructive feedback than what I have been getting.

I was thinking about giving people a "review form" when I give out bottles and have them return it to me (maybe anonymous, maybe not). What are some questions I could have them answer? Does anyone else do this sort of thing?

Thanks,
Scott

I don't because quite honestly, you don't get much better feedback from most average folks.

If you really want constructive feedback, I have found it best to seek out other brewers and general beergeek types who are already familiar with various styles and can point out specific strong & weak points. Getting feedback from people with knowledge of beer in general has provided me with plenty of valuable info and insight into my recipe/brewing.

If you really want constructive feedback, I have found it best to seek out other brewers and general beergeek types who are already familiar with various styles and can point out specific strong & weak points. Getting feedback from people with knowledge of beer in general has provided me with plenty of valuable info and insight into my recipe/brewing.

+1 on this, a BMC slugger is not going to give you the kinda of feedback you are looking for...find some fellow brewers or at least some beersnobs.

And if it's beergeeks you can use the Beer Judge Certification Program judging sheets which give you descriptors and areas to examine for each beer (such as aroma, mouthfeel, color, etc.)

You can download the pdf file of them here; http://www.bjcp.org/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

The group where I go for tastings has a beer judge that joins us sometimes. His feedback is very useful since he knows the types, how they are supposed to taste, how they can go wrong and so on. This does not mean that he is an expert in the brewing process (though he is pretty knowledgable), but he can give very helpful constructive criticism. He knowledge is incredible - I learn more from him than anyone else. If you can get some feedback from one of these guys, it will be very helpful.

Enter a couple of competitions. you get score sheets back and they're judged blindly. I think this is a fantastic way to go.

I am lucky to have an excellent beer judge and one of the only 5 cicerones in existence in my extended circle of friends, so I make him drink a lot of my stuff for feedback. I enter comps too because then it isn't as biased.

Back