yeast sitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crobrewer

Reaction score
hi guys!!!
1 question. My beer is in my fermenter for 7 days now i used a saftbrew s33 yeast and the first 2 days were crazy,bubling lots of foam and at day 3-4 almost everything fell to the bottom.Now thers only a litle bit of bubles floating.But what i want to ask is is this normal for the yeast to be sitting at the bottom ?Nothing moved in 4 days.

Is my temp 17,3C maybee too low?
Can my yeast "fall asleep"?

Thanks

IMG_1031.jpg

rsz_img_1036.jpg

Your temperature is fine, the yeast is probably just done with fermentation. Let it sit until 2-4 weeks then take gravity readings every 3 days until you get two in a row that don't change. Then bottle.

I'd wait only a week and then take gravity readings...

Personally I might even take one in 3 days and then give the fermenter a good swirl if the reading is too high for my taste...

It can often revive part of a sleeping yeast population by putting them back in suspension... 17 is a little chilly but spec sheet says 15-20 for your yeast...

Everything depends on the reading you're going to get in xx days... Wait at least a week...

Hi everyone. I got a wierd problem. I took a sample of this beer 3 days ago (day 16) and it tasted great FG was 1027, and today FG is 1030!!! Is that normal??? Tasted the beer and still not bad but its got a bit of a aerated taste(its not 100% flat).

Beer that is still in the fermenter will have some residual co2 which is normal. The higher reading may be due to co2 bubbles on the hydrometer. Give the hydrometer a spin to knock off the bubbles.:mug:

Is there a possibility you read it wrong 3 days ago? I've never heard of gravity rising after fermentation except if the temp. changed drastically. Was the hydrometer accidentally bumped? If the paper inside shifted you have your answer. Check it in clean water to see. That's about all I've got. Sorry.:(

ok thanks!

Also, are all of your samples the same temp? If not are you sure you're adjusting properly? Most hydrometers are calibrated for 60 degrees, if your sample is say 75 degrees, you'll have to adjust for the higher temp.

Rick

i just gave my fermenter a good swirl to awake the yeast and i also lifted the temp for a few Cs. i hope this will fix the problem

i just gave my fermenter a good swirl to awake the yeast and i also lifted the temp for a few Cs. i hope this will fix the problem

FYI, it's worth it to keep your questions and responses in one thread around here. You have a much better chance of getting good, consistent answers.

heh, so i swirled my fermenter ,raised the temp 1C a wwooollla! after 12 hours the yeast started again. when yeast is active i think the gravity will fall , right guys??

Back