Boil pot from Walmart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseflint63

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this pot I found at walmart? Would it be ok to use until i am sure I want to keep brewing?
Here's the info and a link if you want to see the online add.

Made of a carbon steel core the Granite Ware 21 Qt Stock Pot with Lid offers great strength and durability. Porcelain is fused to the steel producing a non-porous, inert glass surface that is naturally non-stick.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Granite-Ware-21-qt-Stock-Pot-with-Lid/17165786?findingMethod=rr

Thanks,
Jesse

That's what I have and haven't had problems in 3 batches. I've been curious what the forum people would say though.

I think a lot of homebrewers use this type of pot for a kettle. The only issue is if the ceramic chips and exposes the metal beneath (can you say metallic off-flavor)!

IMO the biggest issue is it's only 22 qt. For a little more money you can get a 10 gallon aluminum at a kitchen supply store. I bought a 10 gallon from Food Service Warehouse for only $43 including shipping (I'd actually recommend > 10 gallons if you are doing full boils, but 10 gallon would surely work). My guess is you'll want to continue brewing, but for $20 more it's still worth the risk IMO.

I have this kettle. It's served me well enough through five batches now. It has had a few chips on the bottom. I just scrubbed them until they stopped producing metallic bits (I don't want to think about how many of these little guys made it into my beer). I plan to continue using it, however, but I will be upgrading sooner or later. One thing to consider with this kettle is that the bottom is not flat. I've been brewing on an electric stove with the old-school coils and it doesn't sit flat, so the coils are not directly touching the bottom of the pot, which makes steeping temperatures difficult to maintain. Probably too much information, but it's worth thinking about your stove or burning in relation to the brew kettle's shape.

In other words, I'd say get it if you're looking for something cheap to start with, but you will be upgrading if you stick with it.

+1 for the bottom isn't flat. Just purchased one a while back for my first brew and that will be the next thing I will upgrade. I would prob. just spend alittle extra money and get a stainless pot.

Kevin

I use a 12 quart one for my 1 gallon experimental batches. It works fantastic and I couldn't be happier for the price. It heats up much faster than my stainless and even aluminum pots allowing me to boil much faster than I normally can.

The ceramic cover is a bit of a concern, however. Like all ceramics, its brittle and thus prone to chipping. If you take care of it, it can last but if you don't you are going to be throwing money away.

Be carefull and dont chip the porcelain and try to get the biggest pot that you can. There is a 16 Qt right beside it for just a tad bit more. Stainless is the preferred material but aluminum and porcelean are OK too. Make sure you sanitize and clean everything that will come in contact with you wort. Spoon, basters, funnels, lid, pots, everything so you dont get a beer infection. Good luck and hope this helps, I'm still a noob ad I am hooked so I have to get the big pots and fermentors. If you think you might stay with it, then go ahead and get the good stuff first time around so you can save a bit of coin.
Bob

Early last year,I found a set of 4 SS nested stock pots with lids & steamer trays on sale for some $25 at Giant Eagle. I took the large,polished 20qt for my BK. Since I do 3 gallon partial boils,it works great. And I have those white plastic spoons & paddles to stir with. And with 2 good size SS BK's,my wife & I can brew at the same time.

I have that one as well, so far it works pretty good. But, whenever I have more then 3 gallons or so of water in it, and I lift the pot, I can hear the coating crack under the weight of the pot. So I am not sure how long it will last.

Also, I think I would like to do a full boil for my next batch. We have a turkey fryer, but I want to get a new, clean pot for it. Would something lik this work: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00194DVJI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
It would be 8 gallons, can I do a full boil for 5 gallon batches in that? I would probably use about 6 gallons initially to make up for the boiloff, so that would give my 2 gallon space?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for it!

IMG_2507.jpg

It will chip. It's cheap. Mine has and I have not had any problems with metallic off tastes. I am starting to have serious concern about the handles on the side. Not sure if they are going to stand the test of time and dumping a pot full of boiling hot wort on me dose not sound very batman. I hope to upgrade soon and do all grain.

Thanks for that link, cincybrewer. Looks like they have some good deals there. Did you drill your pot and put a valve in, too?

yeah, if you plan on doing full boils for 5 gallon batches, you might be cutting it close. I would say 8 gallon as a minimum.

That is the pot I used when I did my first batch, Second and third batches were in a 30qt I also just got a 32qt but i think my next will be a 60qt.

I had an aluminum 20qt from the grocery store - about $19. It was ok for stovetop extract kits.

I got a turkey fryer with a 30qt aluminum pot it was just barely big enough for full boils.

Then got a 10 gallon pot. With my new Bayou Classic SP10 it boiled over today. Mostly because I was not familiar with the control and did not get it turned down quick enough.

Thanks for that link, cincybrewer. Looks like they have some good deals there. Did you drill your pot and put a valve in, too?

No I just kept it the way it was. I'm extract, so I just either dump it in the fermenter or siphon it out.

Back