Mmmm Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisKennedy

Reaction score
This was my first kölsch, and was probably the best beer I have ever made. I just drew the last pint tonight, and naturally it was the best pint of all. It lasted 5 weeks from brewing to gone, I brewed it April 14. Perhaps my next few kölschs I brew I will be a bit more patient, but the damn batch was so unbelievably drinkable and delicious the entire time I just couldn't stop drinking it.

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.008
IBU: 25

Pilsner Malt 90%
Vienna Malt 5%
Wheat Malt 5%

.5 oz 13% Magnum at 60min

Mash at 149 for 90 minutes. Boil 90 minutes.

Build a 3L starter of WLP029. Pitch yeast at 59F and ferment there for a day or two, and then begin raising the temp by 1F a day until the beer is completely fermented.

Lager it as long as you can possibly stand it. It takes a couple of weeks to clear completely, but damn is it good. Brew it, drink it, love it. Perfect for summer.

Cheers,

Chris

Sounds good. My first Kolsch is a day or two into it's ferment. Trying to keep it around 60, though it's been creeping above that a bit during the day.

You lagered it about 2 weeks, is that right? Did you rack out of the primary first?

I cold crashed the primary for maybe 3 days, and then just racked into the keg. It fermented about 5 days, I let it sit for about another 5 days, cold crashed for 3, so slightly less than 2 weeks before cold crashing.

I'm doing my first Kolsch as well and using the WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast. On their website, it says to not ferment below 62F. Did this ferment out fine for you? Also, did you lager this? How long and at what temp?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

It will ferment just fine below 62F, but I suggest ramping up the temp starting near the end of peak activity. This yeast, like most other yeasts, can be very sensitive to temp drops and drop right out. Getting it started back up would be very difficult, if possible at all.

I brewed a rye kölsch on Monday, and started it at 58F. Tuesday night, I increased to 59F, Wednesday night 60F, Thursday night 62F, last night 64-65F, and that is where it is now and will be for about another week. The yeast is done for the most part, I am just giving it time to clean up a bit and for some of the sulfur to dissipate.

I didn't really "lager" it exactly, but I kegged my first kölsch after about 2 weeks in the fermenter and just let it sit in my serving fridge for a week or two. It would have benefited from more time, but it tasted so good that I just couldn't keep off of it. It cleared up within a week or so, and got crystal after about 3 weeks.

Back