Star San in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
Is it ok to use Star San in kegs? At the normal ratio of 1 ounce per 5 gallons of water? Then can I siphon it out of the keg (to sanitize my siphon) into a plastic bottle for storage and later use?

Yup. It's what a lt of folks use to sanitize their corneys.

And you can totally reuse it as long at it doesn't get too funky. Clean the keg with PBW or OxyClean first and you should be good.

Jason

I've heard of some people that even store their starsan in a keg and keep a full one around for brew day. Haven't done it myself so I don't want to convince you that its safe, but if someone else out there has I'll let them speak up. I like to toss a gal of starsan in my kegs, shake it for a good 30 sec or so, then hit it with a little CO2 and pump it out through the serving tubes to give them a quick sanitization as well.

I have read in a number of places that once Star San gets milky/cloudy it's no longer good. I have also heard that bad water PH can cause this. The Star San I mixed today is already cloudy?!? Do I have ****ty PH?

sendkyleanemail said:
I have read in a number of places that once Star San gets milky/cloudy it's no longer good. I have also heard that bad water PH can cause this. The Star San I mixed today is already cloudy?!? Do I have ****ty PH?

Cloudy is a good visual sign that it is no longer viable. I think the true test is checking that the pH is at least around 3.

Jason

I mix my Star San with RO (reverse osmosis) water from the grocery store. Goes the distance, never gets milky. I minimize use of Star San by using a spray bottle on buckets, carboys, and bottling bucket, and soaking all small parts in a wallpaper tray.

I store mine in a 3 gallon keg mixed with soft water that has had the chlorine removed. I keep it on hand for months at a time and is always clear and foams.

I was using RO water before I started using Star San. Our well water is far too high in iron and calcium to brew with, so I started brewing with RO from the outset.

Back