Anyone ever seen this before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinnan5150

Reaction score
I hate to make this one of those "is my beer ruined" posts but has anyone ever seen this before?

image-2588335656.jpg

sub. There doesn’t seem to be any Kraeusen; what did you brew? Also, I see white stuff on top, is that light reflection? What did you brew?

Aside from proper sanitation, did you pitch viable yeast? What did you brew?...lol

Am I just seeing giant air bubbles? can you give us some details? How long in primary? Smell? etc

looks like some mold...If it doesnt taste bad carefully rack underneath it...

It would be helpful to know what type yeast you are using and how long it has been in primary. The white spots are caused by the yeast, won't know for sure till you can answer my questions.

It is a red ale. I used East coast ale yeast and made a starter also. What you are seeing is lots of white spots sitting at the top. This is after a few hours of being racked into the secondary

What you are likely seeing is yeast rafts that have been carried to the top by the outgassing of CO2 that was caused by racking the beer to secondary. It should be just fine.

I just kegged a pale ale recipe with Nottingham dry yeast. I saw the same thing on top of my brew while it was in secondary. I took a sample and it tasted great. I wouldn't worry about it. Cheers!

Thanks for all your input. I was freaking out because I have never seen it before. Here is an updated pic looking more what is supposed to look like.

image-2117547836.jpg

Back