Beer in bottle life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefyTim

SudsChef
Reaction score
I have recently bottled my first patch of extract. A Red Ale from Brewer's Best.

I have the bottles stored in my basement at about 66 degrees. They are in boxes to help reduce the light.

How long can I keep these bottles out of the cooler?

Thanks

You shouldn't have any trouble as long as they don't get over heated for an extended period. I've had mine in a cabinet in computer/flytying/beer making equipment storage rm. for close to 6 months. just polished those off a couple of weeks ago

If you're like most new brewers, you'll finish drinking them a long time before they start to deteriorate. :D

They should be drinkable after 3 - 4 weeks, and will continue to improve for 2 - 3 months after that.

After that, the beer should remains stable for at least a year if you cleaned and sanitized properly, and didn't introduce too much oxygen while bottling.

-a.

IF...the beer was done fermenting before you bottle AND you didn't overprime THEN they may never have to be placed in the fridge.

I have some beers over 2 years old that have never been in the fridge.

Sometimes I'll have 10-15 cases of brew just sitting in their racks unrefrigerated...conditioning.;)

I have yet to have a bottle grenade with beer (root beer, yes).

Back