Heat wave!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
Seems like every time I order yeast we end up with temps over 100*. Happened again. I ordered a few things from Northern Brewer on Friday. Including a Wyeast smack pack of 1056. It was delivered yesterday and sat on my porch for a couple of hours in the sun and 101*. Ice pack was long melted and the smack pack was swelled up like a football. Guess I'll make a starter and hope the little guys survived.

Same thing here but mine was a white labs. I ordered last week from NB when temp where pretty decent. Now the last two days were in the upper 90's. What's the chance they survived?

Near 100%. Yeast are actually happier in that temperature, they just don't make great beer when fermenting there. A few of them may have died, but since you're making a starter anyway it just isn't going to matter. Even if the ice pack was melted, they were still insulated, too. The interior temperature of the package was definitely plenty cool.

I just experienced the same thing this past week except mine did die in the heat I assume bc it never inflated and showed no signs of activity when pitched. I learned the hard way to always have some dry yeast on hand.

More wyeast on the way bc first pack got killed in delivery. If this free replacement doesn't survive the trip I'm switching to dry yeast. Keeping fingers crossed.

Mine survived! Actually had a blow off this morning when I checked on it. Replaced the air lock with a blow off tube.:mug:

Well my replacement pack of wyeast didn't survive the trip either. I just pitched some dry yeast that I had left over so hopefully I can save this batch. Lesson learned... Use dry yeast in the summer heat.

Make a starter with it to make sure your liquid yeast has survived. I just ordered a vial and 2 smack packs from NB and I plan on making starters from them all right away. Supposed to be here in St. Louis tomorrow in the 100 degree heat. I won't be brewing all 3 at once, so assuming at least one of them starts, I'll be good to brew one of my recipes on the 4th! If they all make it then I'll be good to go for the next couple batches as well. Cheers!

Near 100%. Yeast are actually happier in that temperature, they just don't make great beer when fermenting there. A few of them may have died, but since you're making a starter anyway it just isn't going to matter. Even if the ice pack was melted, they were still insulated, too. The interior temperature of the package was definitely plenty cool.

I can vouch for this, I ordered a bunch of yeast this time last year in the extreme heat and never had any of them not work. Always make a starter.

It is 4 days shipping from AHS to SC so figured that played a role I made starters but no luck. I think I'll just start picking up from my lhbs in the summer. 40 minute drive but could be worse. I'm hoping this amber ale turns out ok. I had to use a Belgian dry yeast safbrew t58 instead of suggested American ale 1272.

IMO too many people give up on their Wyeast on whether the pack has swelled or does not swell. I have had some that came partially swelled and they worked fine. I have also had a couple that didn't swell (delivered in cool weather) at all and it was also fine.

Another mistake is that when making starters sometimes all the action occurs while you are away. You might not see any action and still, all is well.

What I have for the summer months is: about 20 vials of frozen yeast. I have 6 or 7 different styles so I am not confined to a particular style. I have also just ordered some supplies and a pack of dry yeast. I also have US05 for backup.

How do you deal with smacking your yeast when the package is swollen? Do you guys just not bother and make the starter with out smacking?

WhiskeySix said:
Seems like every time I order yeast we end up with temps over 100*. Happened again. I ordered a few things from Northern Brewer on Friday. Including a Wyeast smack pack of 1056. It was delivered yesterday and sat on my porch for a couple of hours in the sun and 101*. Ice pack was long melted and the smack pack was swelled up like a football. Guess I'll make a starter and hope the little guys survived.

I got the same smack pack this week and was also pre-inflated managed to smack fine though and have in starter right now

How do you deal with smacking your yeast when the package is swollen? Do you guys just not bother and make the starter with out smacking?

No smacking. I make starters and just add the little pouch of nutrients to the starter.

Back