yeasty taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I know this is a frequent topic but I have not experienced this before! My beer, otherwise pretty good, has a slight yeasty taste. I am pretty sure it is as a result of adding, inadvertently, some of the sediment while I was bottling! I wonder if anyone has done the same and if the beer ever conditioned out the taste?

Actually it is a really interesting tasting beer, not bad at all, but the yeast flavor is a little more present than I would like. I am considering:

1. drinking it all as is
2. sticking 1/2 the batch somewhere dark and trying it in 3 months
4. drinking it all as is very quickly
8. sticking the entire batch somewhere dark and trying it in 3 months

2 and 8 presume the yeast will eventually dissipate.

advice welcome!

Steve

I ran into this problem when I first started brewing, and it was related to my pouring technique. I quit letting it glug, problem solved.

Another thing you can do is put them in the fridge after they have conditioned for ~ 2-3 weeks. The suspended yeast will flocculate to the bottom after about 2 weeks, and leave you w/ a clearer and cleaner tasting brew.

OK thanks! Yes I don't glug but the yeast taste in this batch - and only this one to date with 50+gallons this year so far - is there for better or worse. I will cool them down for a couple of weeks, great idea. Thanks!

Are you pouring the bottle out to the very end? Is there a lot of trub in the bottom? Some beers just end up with more trub, and you've got to let go of the very bottom of those beers to keep that trub out of your beer glass.

A couple of weeks later, the yeast taste has completely conditioned out - thought I would post this for anyone who may have had the same problem!

Back