wyeast 3711 & Roselare blend and a ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breez7

Reaction score
I pitched the 3711 and the Roselare at the same time in the beginning and when I racked to secondary it was already down to 1.002. I should have known better using the 3711 since its such a work horse. So now that there isn't anything for the lacto or brett to chew on what should I do? Let it ride? Add something?

so I have lots of questions

1 - what was the grain bill and mash temp?
2 - how long has it been fermenting?
3 - have you tasted it?
4 - Did you make a starter with the 3711?

88% Pilsner
12% Wheat
brewed 8/26, racked 9/18 could taste some brett and belgian character, tasted good
Yes, Made a stater with 3711
Mashed at 154

Let it ride, there are still a lot of fermentables in there. 1.000 is not the threshold, it can go below that.

There seem to be a lot of people trying to use 3711 as a primary yeast for sours ........ Why?????

I have had real good success with that yeast competition wise and I like the flavors it kicks out even at lower temps so I figured why not bug one up.

thanks for the reply

1.002 is pretty low, but your also very early in the fermentation of a sour, it might not hurt to add about 4-8oz of maltodextrin to the beer to feed the bacteria over the long haul. this should add 1-3pts for the bugs to eat

why did you rack? the cake is a good source of nutrients for the brett/bacteria as the beer ages, in my experience a racked sour usually has significantly less funk/brett presence and is generally more sour than anything else

also, dont expect the 3711 flavors to be around when you finally drink the beer, brett will metabolize esters made by sacch

Back