Hefe Late Malt Extract Addition Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I am brewing up a Hefe kit that people say to wait to add the extract until 15 minutes left in the boil. My question is... do I just boil the hops and water for 45 minutes and then put in my 6.6 lbs of extract at 15 minutes remaining?

The recipe calls for putting in all of the extract and hops at 60 minutes but I was told to put extract in at 15 minutes so if anyone can clear this up, it is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have an extract only + hops recipe with no specialty grains.

In this case you are boiling the hops to extract the bittering compounds which your recipe needs. You need to do a 60 minute boil, but add the extract 45 minutes into the boil, with 15 minutes remaining. This ensures a full 60 minute boil, and gives your extract 15 minutes of boil time to kill off anything that may be in it.

Also, the reason you do the last extract addition is to preserve the colour and flavour which works a little better as a late addition rather than a whole boil. You could always boil half of the extract from the start, and add the rest as a 15 minute late addition.

Cheers.

Just to clarify, I would add the hops to the boil at first and then could add the extract anytime thereafter? This would mean that for 45 minutes only the hops would be boiling in the water? The main reason I am doing the late addition is so the color is light like a true bavarian hefe.

The hops need some wort to extract the bittering compounds. I would start with half the extract in the boil and add the rest as a late additiion.

Calder said:
The hops need some wort to extract the bittering compounds. I would start with half the extract in the boil and add the rest as a late additiion.

+1 to this

I'll +1 also because I've done it that way before (adding half extract at start and half at end) and it's come out good.

Back