Washing yeast first attempt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Just washed yeast for the first time. Liquid whitelabs 0001 California ale yeast. I used to ferment a black IPA. I let it settle out for 30 min and it appears to be all one brown layer with and obvious small layer of beer on top. Is this healthy looking yeast?

image-3897684841.jpg

I have washed 1056 (same as 001) several times now. I just did it based on time with my last stout. 20 minutes settling in the carboy, pour into jar, 20 minute settle in jar, pour into pint jars. Got good yield.

IMAG0212.jpg

pabloj13 said:
I have washed 1056 (same as 001) several times now. I just did it based on time with my last stout. 20 minutes settling in the carboy, pour into jar, 20 minute settle in jar, pour into pint jars. Got good yield.

Why is the color of my so much darker?

Looks normal to me. Sore of a creamy off-white tan layer on the bottom? Good volume. Oh yeah, and you're in Durham too??

pabloj13 said:
Looks normal to me. Sore of a creamy off-white tan layer on the bottom? Good volume. Oh yeah, and you're in Durham too??

Yep in Durham and loving it. Planing on buying everything I need to build a cooler mash tun this Wednesday to brew a Pliny clone this Saturday!

Yep in Durham and loving it. Planing on buying everything I need to build a cooler mash tun this Wednesday to brew a Pliny clone this Saturday!

Nice! Where at in Durham? I just recently converted to all-grain. What is that, like a pound of hops?

pabloj13 said:
Nice! Where at in Durham? I just recently converted to all-grain. What is that, like a pound of hops?

about 0.75 miles from Sam's quik shop I am planing on using 11 oz but 4 of those are for dry hopping! I can't do all grain because I can only do a 4 gallon boil but I max out my partial mashes so on this recipe I will be using 10.5 lbs of grain and 3 lbs of DME

Back