Pumpkin Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armen_Tamzarian

Reaction score
So I'm brewing my first pumpkin beer and the recipe calls for 5-7 lbs of cooked pumpkin. Right now I have 10 lbs of uncooked pumpkin and I'm wondering how much this weight will go down roughly. Or if I should just cook 5-7 lbs and throw in what comes out. Thanks for all of your help!

If its fresh, just go ahead and use all 10 lb, you can't go wrong. I would cube it, then roast it and check it at about 45 minutes, mash it with a potato masher and spread it evenly on the baking sheet, and stick it back into the oven to caramelize some more.

Here's what I did with my pumpkin ale: I used 2 small pumpkins cut in half, seeds scooped out. Roast in oven at 350 for 30 mins. Then peel, and cut into chunks. I put the pumpkin chunks in a grain bag and put it in the mash.
But honestly I don't think it matters what you do, the pumpkin does not impact the flavor very much anyway.

I think the amount of time varies on size and type in which some have more water content. That is why some are pie varieties, less water and sweeter especially when baked. When fully baked it should be very soft, darker in color maybe even browned and you should be able to scoop it out of the halved shell like ice cream. The skin will be leathery. I always do at least an hour to get good caramelization, that is what you want IMO.

Back