Adding Oak and Coffee to Black Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InityBrew

Reaction score
I have a 5g batch of black ipa in the primary (3 weeks) and I want to split it and add some Bourbon aged oak chips and coffee to half if it.

Should I Bourbon soak the oak, and cold press the coffee? Or soak the oak and coffee beans together and then add to secondary.

I am looking for a more subtle coffee flavor / aroma.. nothing to overwhelming.

Also, how much oak and coffee would you recommended using for a 2.5 gallon batch?

Any input would be excellent.

For the coffee I would use about 1/8th of a pound for your 2.5 gallon batch. Coffee is pretty potent, and remember you can always add more, but not take out the coffee flavor/aroma.

Crush the coffee beans or if you already have crushed, add it to about 24 oz of water and let sit. After about 24 hours take that and add to secondary. Remember to sanitize. So if you have too boil the water and allow to cool.

As far as the bourbon soaked oak, I am not quite sure on the amount to add never tried that one.

For a subtle oak I usually use 1 - 1 1/2 oz (dry) of medium toasted oak chips per 5 gal. I usually use 2 oz per 5 gal. in my Christmas beers. I put the chips in a zip lock bag and just enough bourbon to cover them. I soak 'em for a day or two, or a week, or a few months....and add the liquid and all to the secondary and leave (usually along with dry hops) there for a week to ten days. I've heard some people drain the liquid and dry the chips out supposedly to tone down the tannins...?

Back