Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabber

Reaction score
I just transferred my Irish red ale from prime to the second. Well it smelled fruity! This is my first batch and was just wondering what it should smell like. It looked great! I forgot to take a FG, so I'll just wait a few weeks and find out. I guess my question is what should green Irish red ale smell like?

dabber

post a recipe, that will help us figure this out. Could be from the yeast.

Fruity, flowery and like a dead skunk's fart...

Pretty typical smells for a transfer brew. Congratulations on your first batch. Don't worry. It will be fine.

Don't be shy about getting in there and stealing a sample for a gravity reading. Just be very sanitary. It's alos a good time to give taste. Though don't try to judge a green beer's taste this early in your brewing career.

Temperature has a big impact on fruity flavors and aromas. What temp did it ferment at?

It fermented between 68-72 degrees. Is this bad, should I be fermenting at a lower temp?

dabber

dabber said:
It fermented between 68-72 degrees. Is this bad, should I be fermenting at a lower temp?

dabber

nope, that's good.

Irish red ales have a LOT of grains in it. As long as you had a good fermentation, it will be good. This is the whole thing about the art of brewing. Every batch will be different and new. After time, you'll slowly start to realize what you like and what you don't like. From there, you go on to making your own recipes and then the fun really begins.

Some yeasts are more estery than others. What did you use?

Sometimes all it needs is time to mellow it out. I had a scottish ale that tasted like sour apples until it had been bottled for 5 weeks.

I too brewed a batch of Irish ale but I used white labs liquid yeast it finished out great ... juts out of curiosity I may try dry yeast next time.
Everyone that tried this ale absoulutly loved it.. let me know how it turns out ..Jeff

Back