• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

sankeys/corneys/brew magic/600 lbs grain (?!) craigslist find

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcHokie

Reaction score
NOT MINE

No clue, but this might be from the Union Station location of Capitol City Brewing that is shuttering here in DC ??

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/1909147817.html

$4,900.00 Brew Magic 1/2 BBL brewing system
$650.00 Sabco Chill Wizard
$1,200.00 each 2x Blichmann 1 BBL (42 gallon) fermenters
$65.00 each 14 converted 1/2 BBL Hoff-Stevens kegs
$55.00 each 15 1/4 BBL Sankey Kegs
$30.00 each 10 Corney Kegs

600 lbs of grain plus other brewing ingredients
Grains:
Weyermann Caramunich I
Weyermann Caramunich II
Weyermann Caramunich III (Unopened 55 lb)
Weyermann Carafa Special Type III (Unopened 55 lb)
Castle Pilsner
Rahr 2-row Pale (unopened 50 lb)
German Vienna (Weiner)
Castle cara pils - 8 (20 EBC)
Briess Caramel 80
Simpson's Black Malt
Briess Caramel 120
Simpsons CaraMalt
Except where noted the amounts of each vary between 10-45 lbs.

We'll sell the whole lot for $1/lb, delivered. Probably 550-600 lbs total.

Also have about 25 lbs of Belgian clear candi sugar we'll sell for $3/lb.

All was purchased within the last 6 months. Most of it was purchased just back in mid-May, so it is all fresh.

3oe3pc3l45V65Y35S0a8k1546824ddb5317e2.jpg

3n13p63l45Y05Q25X0a8ka1f77110a26c1893.jpg

In deed a pilot system. Many commercial breweries will use a Brew Magic or similar homebrew set up. Heck...Sam C from DFH is all over their ads.

Reading a little about the Lost River Brewery...Only open 6 months and they want out? I wonder what happened???

As per their comments on Facebook, they were trying to do the brewpub as a side gig, keeping the main careers. Don't see how you could possibly run a commercial operation without that being your full-time profession. Best-case, you'd be doing a half-ass job. Makes me wonder if the costs just got to be too much, I mean - if you and your wife are both working 40 hours elsewhere, that's 80 hours at the pub that you've got to be paying someone else.

It's a shame - Looking through their FB photos, they built the bar from an empty building! Restaurant, kitchen, brewery... That's a lot of work to walk from in 6 months!

OTOH - How on earth could they keep a brew pub supplied with beer with just a pilot system and a couple Ferminators??? It would take a double batch just to load one fermenter - And I wouldn't think a pipeline would be very easy to establish, let alone maintain...

Yeah, I don't think it's feasible to go commercial unless you're going to be doing at least 5BBL batches. That's what our local brewpub (now closed for other reasons) was doing. Otherwise, BEST-case you're basically going to be a bar with nine "guest" beers for every one of your own that you can keep on draft.

Maybe they could have kept the place going if they had a real system... but if you're having to brew every night AND working your regular gig, yeah, that's not going to last more than a few months.

It's a shame - Looking through their FB photos, they built the bar from an empty building! Restaurant, kitchen, brewery... That's a lot of work to walk from in 6 months!

OTOH - How on earth could they keep a brew pub supplied with beer with just a pilot system and a couple Ferminators??? It would take a double batch just to load one fermenter - And I wouldn't think a pipeline would be very easy to establish, let alone maintain...

From driving through that area to go hiking in GW National Forest I can tell you it is a very small, rural town and there isn't anything within a one hour drive in any direction.

According to Wikipedia, Wardensville has a total population of 246 people & median income for a household is $28,864. Not a commercially viable situation any way you slice it...

From driving through that area to go hiking in GW National Forest I can tell you it is a very small, rural town and there isn't anything within a one hour drive in any direction.

According to Wikipedia, Wardensville has a total population of 246 people & median income for a household is $28,864. Not a commercially viable situation any way you slice it...

Wow - Not much of a crowd to serve...

But seriously - I can't keep a pipeline for myself with a 10 gallon system. How the **** do you keep up with a restaurant?!?

Well, it's a half-barrel system, so 21 gallons....

Point remains, that's just not viable. They should have asked our opinions before spending all that money! I've been to other breweries where I suspect they're using undersized equipment (one I'm thinking of in particular in the Finger Lakes), and it was pretty obvious in the flavor (my wife picked up on this without provocation) that they were serving all of their beers WAY too young.

Wow - Not much of a crowd to serve...

But seriously - I can't keep a pipeline for myself with a 10 gallon system. How the **** do you keep up with a restaurant?!?

The more that I think about it, and not to pile on these folks, but I just don't see how they could have enough demand for even a pilot system in this area.

I remember the town having two stores: a 7-11 and the unforgettably named "P-Nut's Car Audio & Bait".

How much does a half-BBL Brew Magic system run for, brand-new? The only prices I saw on the site were around $5,500, but not sure if that was for a full half-BBL system or not. The Chill Wizard, selling it for $650 but you can buy it new for $829. They aren't exactly offering all of this gear at fire-sale prices.

See, I'm confusing myself. If it's a half-barrel system... well, a barrel is 42 gallons, so that's 21. But all of the Brew-Magic systems I see use converted kegs, which are 15.5 gallons. I know I'm being thick, but... well, I'm confusing myself!

EDIT: 31 gallons per BBL. Sorry.... an oil barrel is 42 gallons, beer barrel is 31.

How much does a half-BBL Brew Magic system run for, brand-new? The only prices I saw on the site were around $5,500, but not sure if that was for a full half-BBL system or not. The Chill Wizard, selling it for $650 but you can buy it new for $829. They aren't exactly offering all of this gear at fire-sale prices.

It's not a 1/2 bbl pilot system - It's got 1/2bbl kegs for mash and boil, so there's no way you could boil 15.5 gallons in a batch on that thing... And even if you could, how much gravity can you get from a 15g mash tun rinsed with 15 gallons of water?

Edit: You beat me to it :D

New math! New math!:)

... and of course, when I think of what a "barrel" looks like, I'm thinking of a 55 gallon drum.

I know guys who boil pretty close to 15 gallons in a keggle (with Fermcap or just a VERY active spray bottle), but yeah... even doing that, just after natural losses to trub you're looking at 12 gallon batches at best (and nothing big). Looks like they tried to ramp up a homebrew operation instead of building a proper commercial setup.

Back