is this too much IBU's???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendavanza

Reaction score
This is a IIPA I am brewing in the next day or two. I brewed one with 4 oz of similar AA before, at a similar schedule, and was pleased, but looking at this recipe thing 150 IBU's seems off the chart or what? The last 3 hops on the recipe are leftovers that I'm throwing in there before they get too old.
The pale malt is Maris Otter, it was not on this calculator. I am looking to have a malty IIPA/DIPA like flying dog double dog.
-Ben

Picture 5.jpg

I say you can never have too many IBU's. That said i've been told the max you can get in the beer is 100. I like the recipe. The honey malt is an interesting touch. It seems like a pound is a lot as i've heard it goes a long way. That said i've used probably 3/4# in a tripel and it came out amazing and just a touch of honey. The marris otter will make it nice and malty so i don't think it will be too hoppy.

The warrior hops are awesome. Go ahead and do it!! The dry hops will give you a great nose. I like the recipe.

You can't really get over about 100 IBU's. There's only so much iso-humolone that can disolve before the beer hits it's saturation point.

I'd drop the magnum from the boil. The rest will impart nice flavor.

I like the choice of 80L in your grainbill, but I'd definitely cut the amount of honey malt to 6-8 oz. A pound in a 5 gallon recipe is a bit much. I love the maltiness of Maris Otter as is, but if you want to bump it a touch, 6-8 oz of Victory would be a good addition.

I got the honey inspiration from Beirmucher's recipies, the grain is milled and mixed.
I think I'll go ahead with this and learn from it.
Thanks for the feedback!
-Ben

I've used that much HM in an IPA (well actual an IDA). It's kind of like using a ton of munich. Wasn't a bad thing. Honey Malt is an interesting malt. I usually try and keep it between .5 to 1kilo max for 40L (roughly 1/4 to 1/2 lb per 5g) though.

Back