added oak cubes - got some bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
working through my first wood aging attempt with a dark belgian strong type beer. it's about 9% ABV (1.079 to 1.010), it fermented in primary for about 14 days, then i moved it into secondary with the oak at ambient basement temps, which are about 60 degrees this time of year. i kept it in the basement for a week or 10 days, during which i MAYBE saw a few bubbles coming from the oak cubes floating on the surface of the beer. i brewed an irish red in the meantime and after that came out of the fermenting chamber, i moved the oak aging beer into there and ramped it up to 70 deg. now, there appears to be more bubbles coming from the area of the oak cubes.

i'm just curious if anyone else has experienced some bubbles (maybe air exchange??) coming from oak cubes after adding them. there's no sign of a pellicle or anything, and i don't think that sacch. eat wood sugars, but maybe? i'm not in the least bit worried about it or anything, i'm just curious if anyone has an explanation or has seen it before with their wood aged beers. i'd be surprised to see anything significant take hold in a 9% beer, but i guess you never know.

This is probably one of two things. Either a) you soaked the cubes in something that had some fermentable sugars and that's fermenting, or more likely b) anything that you put into a fermenter creates nucleation sites, which basically means places for the CO2 in suspension to have bubbles sites form. You see this all the time with dry hopping. That's most likely what you're seeing, so don't worry about it.

no soakage, i steamed them for 15 minutes before adding them in. and the CO2 must be what it is, but i was pretty sure there wasn't enough co2 left in suspension to show up like that (i'd been shaking it pretty consistently during primary to get it to finish), but i guess the warmup released more co2... again, i'm not concerned about it, just curious. thanks for the response.

Back