Same batch same yeast diff F.G. WTF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
This is a belgo APA 3 weeks after pitch.. OG 1.061 10 gal split in a glass 6.5 gal carboy and a 6 gal Better Bottle. 1 pack of SafaleT-58 rehydrated in each.

581157_10100648970075790_22925584_52885939_1888650557_n.jpg

Left Better bottle F.g 1.016 Right carboy F.G. 1.009

I filled the glass carboy 1st after my whirlpool.. I did let it settle for 30 min~

527396_10100648969501940_22925584_52885938_707669039_n.jpg

The right tastes very dry the hops come out more and much more bitter. I can taste the alcohol more. I think I am smelling fusel alcohols and can taste them as well.

What happened wild yeast? You can see the right one is very cloudy... I bough the yeast at the same time fresh from NB. I just don't know..

Probably has to do with the amount of oxygen that is in each. It looks like about 6 gallons in one and 4 in the other. That will affect it.

I added oxygen to both and its 5.5 in one 4.5 in the other... You could be right.

I can't see the pics, but it might just be because I'm at work. Could be a couple different reasons. Some I can think of and I admit some of these are shots in the dark, but maybe you had more yeast in one versus the other (or more viable yeast in one versus the other), more trub and hop debris in one versus the other, more O2 in one versus the other, and so on.

Where they fermented in the same place? If not, temp variations come to mind. If they were fermented in the same place, I wonder if part of it could be due to differences in conductivity between glass and plastic (Better Bottle)...in other words plastic should be a slightly better thermal insulator compared to glass so if the room you fermented in had temp variations, the plastic should be impacted less.

Also with glass versus plastic, I wonder if plastic is better for clearing beer. For example, sliding a better bottle across carpet could result in a static charge and I wonder if this would help clear a beer. Might be an interesting experiment if anyone has the time.

Back