Wrong post for ball lock keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcaniment

Reaction score
I purchased a keg from beverage elements that had a problem with the liquid post. I could not connect it. I think the poppet spring was too large. I ordered a new post from northern brewer but I think it is wrong. It looks like the one that was on the keg, but it does not sitflush when tightened. It seems to be holding pressure with no leaks. Does anyone see a problem with not having the correct post?

If it helps, I purchased the "Type A" post from Northern Brewer. I later realized that my keg is a Cornelius Super Champion. When I tighten the post down, there is a gap between the bottom of the post and the top of the keg. Everything is sealed, and there are no leaks. I hooked everything up, and ran some starsan through the system. Thoughts?

The liquid post on your Cornelius Super Champion has 19/32"-18 threads, and the "type A" post fitting you used has 5/8"-18 threads. If you tightened it down enough to get a good seal, then there's a very good chance you munged up the threads on the keg, and it will be hard to get it to seal properly in the future.

I took the dip tube out and put the post back on. Definitely too much play in the threads. Luckily, I didn't crank down on it last night. The threads look fine. I ended up using a torch to compress the poppet spring, and take some pressure off. Seals fine, and I can hook everything up with ease. Beer is already in the keg.

Back