vinegar flavor in hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
i have tried to brew a hefeweizen twice now and both times it has had a vinegary taste.all other brews come out all right. does the safebrew w 06 give off flavors or did i just infect two batches?

Vinegar = acetic acid = acetobacter (bacteria) = sanitation issue = not gonna recover = dumpola.

If you're not getting this on your other beers, it might not be that, but with vinegar it almost always is.

It's not "sulphur" or "green apple" that your tasting, is it?

I split a batch of wort into two fermenters using in one Safale-05 and in the other Safbrew WB-06. I experienced an obvious tartness with the Safbrew WB-06, which I now find pleasant; however, this is not a flavor I'd want with every hefeweizen. Taste it again and see if you really think it's vinegar or if it's more of a tart/sour flavor.

If you search safbrew 06/tart/sour on google, you'll see that you aren't alone with this observation.

Can naturally occurring acetobacter on wheat survive the malting and mashing process? I doubt it could survive boiling.If so, maybe your yeast starter needs to be larger/healthier to out-ferment the acetobacter?

Back