Need advice on homebrewing kit to go with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whattheschmidt

Reaction score
I'm willing to spend over $200 if it's worth it, but haven't brewed of course so I don't know exactly what kits may be missing or may have in them that are considered inferior pieces of equipment that would need upgrading further down the line.

I don't want to be limited much with what can be brewed equipment wise and I am not too worried about the brewing being too complicated for a beginner. I plan on starting with malt extract and having the ability to go to grain easily.

I have a propane burner from a turkey deep fryer and the pot(which is definitely cheap quality but perhaps will work fine for the first couple brews or so?).

With that said I am thinking of an intermediate kit with 2 glass carboys:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-w-two-5-gallon-glass-carboys.html

I do like the idea of kegging the beer instead of bottling though, already have a kegerator that fits a 1/2 barrel or 2 slim kegs which I believe would be standard size for homebrewing 5 gallons. What would be needed besides the keg itself to keg the beer? should I just bottle the first time or two instead perhaps?

Is there a different kit I should consider(this one seemed a touch better than northerbrewery)? or perhaps add on parts? Some sort of thermometer or hydrometer? I'm interested in brewing ales, wheat beers, maybe an oatmeal stout or a porter...

Thanks

I'm happy with the True brew kit, But I'm sure that there are better out there. I'm fermenting my second batch right now. As for the deep fryer I did some research and read some posts on this site and was told to Boil water in the pot until it oxydizes/ turns dark. Enjoy the brewing and drinking it is the waiting part that sucks.

Mike

I got the basic starter kit from Midwest. Good kit - gives you what you need to brew your first batch. You can always add on as you progress. A lot of people on here will tell you secondary fermentation isn't necessary except for dry hopping or adding fruit/spice additions. So of you wanted to save money at first you could forgo buying a secondary. If you watch groupon, Midwest will occassionally offer a great deal on their starter kit. Or you could call them and see if they'd be willing to give you the groupon deal.

Good luck!

That intermediate kit is a good kit, it would do you well. All the gear I have from mine has held up well and helps create some great beers.

As far as kegging vs bottling - it all depends on what you want to do in the long run. I still bottle and it is, in some regards, more work than kegging. The upfront investment in kegging seems to be significantly more but you get great results there also. I will let someone else with kegging experience take it from there.

So, for your first kit that intermediate kit is a good one. You can always fine tune it later.

I'm starting to think about the True Brew Kit instead and buying a few pieces seperate..

Probably get a decent 7-8 gallon stainless steel brewing pot as well...

thanks for the input so far

Good point... if you can afford it I'd suggest going at least a 10 gallon brew pot, if not 15. Might be overkill at first but you will grow into it. Also, you will stand far less chance of boiling over with at least a 10 gallon. Just my opinion.

NOTHING wrong with a turkey fryer.. Well cleaned and conditioned.. thy work very well. Clean the heck out of it and fill it with water.. boil it so that the aluminum gets black on the inside below the water line. That's aluminum oxide.. a good thing. They hold about 7 or so gallons and work quite well for 5 gallon batches.. 6 gals if you are cautious about keeping the foam down during the hot break.

I got a couple of Better Bottles instead of glass carboys. They are much lighter, and I'm carrying them down to my cellar to ferment. Plus, I'm scared of broken glass; I keep picturing severed tendons and lots of blood.
One thing that I really like having is an autosiphon.
I wrecked a few of my probe thermometers, so do a search here for recommended thermometers.
I'm sure you'll want a hydrometer and a sample tube, they're pretty cheap.
I got a couple of pin lock kegs for about $35 each from kegconnection. I guess you'd need different connectors if you're currently set up for commercial kegs.
Be careful, it's a slippery slope! I'm already thinking about more kegs, BBottles, etc. And it's only been a couple of months since I started.
HAVE FUN!

The link below will take you to what I got for xmas from my wife. Coopers-Brewery-DIY-Beer-Kit
This kit is from Australia, so you get a Celsius thermometer strip and the fermenting vessel has liter marks, but other than that I think it's awesome! It comes with all the ingredients needed to make your first batch and an easy to follow instructional DVD. A hydrometer is included.

Kegs would be great if you can swing it. I know I want to at some point. The Cooper's kit comes with enough bottles for one batch, but then you gotta move onto buying glass bottled beer from the grocery store and get to drinking in order to prepare for brew #2! I found that Kirkland brand beers from Costco are tasty enough and very affordable. Plus they come with a decent cardboard box. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I would skip the glass carboys and use those dollars for an auto siphon and wort chiller. Two very handy pieces of equipment that make it easier.

The turkey fryer set up works great for full batch brews. They are around $60 at home depot.

if you look around you can find several pieces to your puzzle in different places at lower costs. My secondaries are water cubes that hold 5 gallons and come with a built in handle and fit nicely in the mini fridge for cold crashing. They are $6.

whattheschmidt said:
I'm willing to spend over $200 if it's worth it, but haven't brewed of course so I don't know exactly what kits may be missing or may have in them that are considered inferior pieces of equipment that would need upgrading further down the line.

I don't want to be limited much with what can be brewed equipment wise and I am not too worried about the brewing being too complicated for a beginner. I plan on starting with malt extract and having the ability to go to grain easily.

I have a propane burner from a turkey deep fryer and the pot(which is definitely cheap quality but perhaps will work fine for the first couple brews or so?).

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-intermediate-kit-w-two-5-gallon-glass-carboys.html

I do like the idea of kegging the beer instead of bottling though, already have a kegerator that fits a 1/2 barrel or 2 slim kegs which I believe would be standard size for homebrewing 5 gallons. What would be needed besides the keg itself to keg the beer? should I just bottle the first time or two instead perhaps?

Is there a different kit I should consider(this one seemed a touch better than northerbrewery)? or perhaps add on parts? Some sort of thermometer or hydrometer? I'm interested in brewing ales, wheat beers, maybe an oatmeal stout or a porter...

Thanks

I got the northern brewer deluxe kit and really like it. I checked around a while at prices and think its one of the better priced kits for all it comes with. You can definitely find cheaper though if thats what you're looking for

Good point... if you can afford it I'd suggest going at least a 10 gallon brew pot, if not 15. Might be overkill at first but you will grow into it. Also, you will stand far less chance of boiling over with at least a 10 gallon. Just my opinion.

Good chance I will go with the 10 gallon but for quite some time I won't be doing more than a 5 gallon batch. Also I don't have a ton of room in my apartment unfortunately either.

NOTHING wrong with a turkey fryer.. Well cleaned and conditioned.. thy work very well. Clean the heck out of it and fill it with water.. boil it so that the aluminum gets black on the inside below the water line. That's aluminum oxide.. a good thing. They hold about 7 or so gallons and work quite well for 5 gallon batches.. 6 gals if you are cautious about keeping the foam down during the hot break.

I will perhaps try it out but the pot is pretty thin and so damn light, I might just pay the $100 for a nice SS 10 gallon.

I got a couple of Better Bottles instead of glass carboys. They are much lighter, and I'm carrying them down to my cellar to ferment. Plus, I'm scared of broken glass; I keep picturing severed tendons and lots of blood.
One thing that I really like having is an autosiphon.
I wrecked a few of my probe thermometers, so do a search here for recommended thermometers.
I'm sure you'll want a hydrometer and a sample tube, they're pretty cheap.
I got a couple of pin lock kegs for about $35 each from kegconnection. I guess you'd need different connectors if you're currently set up for commercial kegs.
Be careful, it's a slippery slope! I'm already thinking about more kegs, BBottles, etc. And it's only been a couple of months since I started.
HAVE FUN!

Good tips, going to get autosiphon for sure. I don't fully understand the glass carboy for secondary bit and whatnot but read they are much nicer to clean and keep reusing.

The link below will take you to what I got for xmas from my wife. Coopers-Brewery-DIY-Beer-Kit
This kit is from Australia, so you get a Celsius thermometer strip and the fermenting vessel has liter marks, but other than that I think it's awesome! It comes with all the ingredients needed to make your first batch and an easy to follow instructional DVD. A hydrometer is included.

Kegs would be great if you can swing it. I know I want to at some point. The Cooper's kit comes with enough bottles for one batch, but then you gotta move onto buying glass bottled beer from the grocery store and get to drinking in order to prepare for brew #2! I found that Kirkland brand beers from Costco are tasty enough and very affordable. Plus they come with a decent cardboard box. :D

I'm definitely not interested in Cooper's or MR. Beer really. While I'm sure they get the job done just fine I don't see room for growth or wanting to keep using that equipment down the road really.

I would skip the glass carboys and use those dollars for an auto siphon and wort chiller. Two very handy pieces of equipment that make it easier.

The turkey fryer set up works great for full batch brews. They are around $60 at home depot.

if you look around you can find several pieces to your puzzle in different places at lower costs. My secondaries are water cubes that hold 5 gallons and come with a built in handle and fit nicely in the mini fridge for cold crashing. They are $6.

Defnitely getting auto siphon. Wort chiller I will look into. Have turkey fryer but am unsure on pot size / quality.

Thanks

I am going to be buying my first kit this week also. I've done a few batches with my brother-in-law's equipment and now I'm getting my own. I'm going with this one:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginning-Homebrew-Kit-Upgrade-2-_p_1692.html

I like it because it comes with a better bottle instead of the glass carboy (lighter, safer) and it comes with a stainless steel pot which I don't currently have. I know I'll eventually upgrade the brew pot but this is a good start. This kit only comes with the one better bottle and the one you mentioned comes with two carboys but this kit is $30 cheaper, so if you really wanted a second one, you could pick one up and the price would be about the same.

Anyway - that's what I'm doing. :) Have fun! It's a great hobby to get into!

I think you'll be surprised at how many people here are using the turkey fryer and very happy with them. Yep, they are thin.. but so are most of the SS kettles. You can buy a couple of turkey fryers with burners for the price of one SS kettle. Just sayin'

I bought the intermediate kit with a carboy from Midwest supplies. It was perfect for starting out. I've brewed 5 brews in there and I've only used the carboy once for dry hopping. Still glad I have it. This came with an auto-siphon.

I have since bought a SS brew kettle, another bucket for fermenting, a carboy handle, carboy hauler, multiple hydrometers, a wine thief, a better thermometer, funnel, and some large grain bags for BIAB.

The only complaint I have is that I don't have a 6.5 gal carboy to ferment in.

I would suggest that kit, or putting together a similar kit from buying separately.

Thanks

I posted a similiar thread last month on this topic. I liked the one from midwest supply, but the shipping cost was a joke. I was recommended this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/beer-equipment-starter-kits/deluxe-beer-starter-kit.html
I bought it with the glass carboys & am very happy with it! Only $7.99 for shipping! I have since added a wort chiller and other small items, but for the most part, the kit started me off strong (I already had a stockpot).
The only thing I haven't used from the kit is the glass thermometer, but thats because I had a digital one that is a little easier. I just brewed a Maharaja clone extract kit that I also bought from Northern Brewer. Pricey, but I wanted to start off with a beer I know I'll enjoy.
Add-ons for me were the following (most not necessary, but I'm an overkill kind of person): stainless steel diffuser, HEPA in line air filter & aquarium pump for aeration, stainless steel spoon, more Starsan, carboy strap carrier, 2 liter Erlenmeyer flask for yeast starter, magnetic stir rod (I made a stir plate out of a computer fan & old hard drive from a youtube DIY video), oxyclean, & a couple spray bottles. Hope you find what you are looking for & most importantly, have fun!

I think what you need to figure out is what you need to make good beers. This can get like buying cars. I want inexpensive functional stuff. It gets me from A to B at a reasonable cost.

Others might disagree and want more bells and whistles, yet we both may end up with good beer.

Is stainless steel a better option? Well it better g dam be if it costs double or triple. But is it a double or triple cost benefit to your beer?

just some thoughts, what's great about this hobby is there are so many ways to go and most all of them work great.

when I started brewing I bought the midwest starter kit. I got another bucket instead of the 5 gallon carboy. Most people don't secondary very much. I have 4 - 5 gallon carboys and only once did I use one for beer. I mainly use them for cider or wine(which I hardly ever make)

I am going to be buying my first kit this week also. I've done a few batches with my brother-in-law's equipment and now I'm getting my own. I'm going with this one:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginning-Homebrew-Kit-Upgrade-2-_p_1692.html

I like it because it comes with a better bottle instead of the glass carboy (lighter, safer) and it comes with a stainless steel pot which I don't currently have. I know I'll eventually upgrade the brew pot but this is a good start. This kit only comes with the one better bottle and the one you mentioned comes with two carboys but this kit is $30 cheaper, so if you really wanted a second one, you could pick one up and the price would be about the same.

Anyway - that's what I'm doing. :) Have fun! It's a great hobby to get into!

I'm either doing this or the midwest starter kit with additions (auto siphon, maybe a wort chiller)

I asked them if I can get their kit and subtract the 5 gallon brew kettle (which makes no sense for 5 gallon batches) and get a nice discount. If possible I will probably go with that, otherwise the midwest $65 kit and add on some goodies.

Using a wort chiller I would just place the brew pot next to my sink and have water run through it correct? One of the best ways is a pump with ice water running through it though right?(I already use a pump in my water cooled computer, would be easy to figure out in the future)

I might grab this chiller since it's 25% off https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/save-25-wort-chiller-323759/

Thanks for the help, almost ready to purchase everything.

The kit I got from Midwest had an auto siphon, no kettle, but with 2 buckets (1 for bottling). I've found by submerging my kettle in the bath tub with ice, I've been able to hit 80 or lower within 22 min. It's not the best, but it saves you money for temperature control/swamp cooler on your fermenter. That is the most important thing I've found since I started. I am going to buy a wort chiller, but right now, I've found other things I think are more important.

The kit I got from Midwest had an auto siphon, no kettle, but with 2 buckets (1 for bottling). I've found by submerging my kettle in the bath tub with ice, I've been able to hit 80 or lower within 22 min. It's not the best, but it saves you money for temperature control/swamp cooler on your fermenter. That is the most important thing I've found since I started. I am going to buy a wort chiller, but right now, I've found other things I think are more important.

well I don't have any issue spending 200 or so...but I could hold off on a wort chiller

I actually have a mini fridge that I could convert to be used for fermenting with temp control at some point. In this apartment though I don't know if I would want to throw that into the living room.

whattheschmidt said:
well I don't have any issue spending 200 or so...but I could hold off on a wort chiller

I actually have a mini fridge that I could convert to be used for fermenting with temp control at some point. In this apartment though I don't know if I would want to throw that into the living room.

Everyone's situation is their own, but I would highly recommend some type of fermentation temperature control. I keep my house around 68-70, but without temp control, I was fermenting near 77 and producing some bad off flavors in otherwise good beer. after temp control, I would say larger brew kettle. Something 7.5 gal or larger do you can do full boils.

Get both if you got the money, but from someone in your position just a couple months ago; spend a little now and see what you need. You may want to jump into all grain and get a mash tun. You may need a turkey fryer set up for full boils. You may want to buy grains or hops in bulk. A stir plate is nice. Lots of options, but I would say get just what you need to start and see how your product turns out to find out what to buy next. Just my opinion.

I asked them if I can get their kit and subtract the 5 gallon brew kettle (which makes no sense for 5 gallon batches) and get a nice discount.

Good idea to ask for that if you don't need the pot. You can use a 5 gallon pot with a 5 gallon batch though, because with extract kits you only boil about 2 gallons. You add the rest of the water after the boil.

Good idea to ask for that if you don't need the pot. You can use a 5 gallon pot with a 5 gallon batch though, because with extract kits you only boil about 2 gallons. You add the rest of the water after the boil.

oh I see

I would much rather use my turkey fryer and do a full boil for a better brew

but I can start off either way I suppose

thanks

"because with extract kits you only boil about 2 gallons. You add the rest of the water after the boil."

Not necessarily so. I use my 30 qt. turkey fryer (7.5 gallons) starting with 6 gallons and boil down to 5 (give or take a cup/pint of water) using extract. It seems all my directions state use as much water as the entire receipe calls for. Comes out pretty good.

This is the kit I started with:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BU7CVM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Since then, I have added (in order) an auto-siphon, 3 plastic carboys (5gal), more airlocks, more fermometers, more bungs, more tubing, a funnel, a SS double mesh strainer, a fermentation chamber, 5 gal paint strainer bags, a digital scale, a floating thermometer, 4 plastic buckets (6 gal)...

Sometimes it seems like I always need one more thing to make my equipment complete! I don't think I have been in a single store in the last 6 months without thinking "I could brew with that..." at least once! :mug:

Good tips, going to get autosiphon for sure. I don't fully understand the glass carboy for secondary bit and whatnot but read they are much nicer to clean and keep reusing.

I have just got my firs brew of the ground and I can fully recommend glass carboy/demijohns.

I raided my mum and dads house for their old brewing equipment and found 7 or 8 old 1 gallon (uk) glass demijohns. After 20 years in a stone cellar, with dregs left in them, their condition was appalling. Within some good cleaning they are now sat by my Ager bobbling away happily and may be one day my kids will be using them.

A word of warning; some people have said that new demijohns are of poorer quality , with thin walls and easy to brake. The ones I have are heavy and thick walled, so looking for second hand ones may be best and greener.

Hope this helps.

Back